Cat Vaccination vs Upsetting My Cat

Pippers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three weeks ago, I adopted a rescue named Princess. She is extremely fearful. Unfortunately, the shelter was unable to give her a shot for worms, fleas, and ticks and instructed me to give it to her around three weeks in. The problem is to give her the shot I would physically have to drive her out of hiding and capture her, which would undoubtedly make her very upset. Is it so important I give her this shot in a timely manner or would I be fine forgoing it? I don’t want to make her any more scared than she is.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of an injection for worms, fleas, and ticks, did you mean vaccinations? If it is just for the above, I personally would apply a topical high up on the back of the neck and keep her home. You still need a prescription for most to buy them cheaper on the internet, but you could call and try to get one. It will be difficult without the vet seeing the cat. Maybe you could consider making an appointment in the future. Just make sure you apply the topical high up, almost between the ears. cats can twist around and lick impossible places and if she licks this she would race around and foam at the mouth. I have had it happen when I applied it too low. As for fleas and ticks try to stroke her and get her to let you see her abdomen. The hair is much thinner where the legs attach to the body and you could see if she has fleas. I wouldn't bother treating her if there are no signs. If it is vaccinations, if she doesn't go outside and is not exposed to other cats she should be safe enough to let it go for a few months. No cat likes going to the vet, I have a couple that urinate all over their carrier they are so scared.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know how old Princess is. Could you not give her the treatment because she's too young or because she had the treatment 4 weeks ago?
Try to get her to come out of her shell. Sit on the floor with her while she eats and test her comfort zone with light pets. She may soon begin to trust you enough for a quick application. You also can wait a little longer for the parasite treatment if she doesn't seem to have an infestation. I'm not sure what hemisphere you are in but with cooler weather up north and factoring in she's indoors it might not be dire to treat her "on time". I normally skip flea treatments once we get our first freeze until about late March. I have never heard of a shot for that either - just topical and pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pippers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm curious to know how old Princess is. Could you not give her the treatment because she's too young or because she had the treatment 4 weeks ago?
Try to get her to come out of her shell. Sit on the floor with her while she eats and test her comfort zone with light pets. She may soon begin to trust you enough for a quick application. You also can wait a little longer for the parasite treatment if she doesn't seem to have an infestation. I'm not sure what hemisphere you are in but with cooler weather up north and factoring in she's indoors it might not be dire to treat her "on time". I normally skip flea treatments once we get our first freeze until about late March. I have never heard of a shot for that either - just topical and pills.
I took a moment to review the shot again, and it says it is for "heartworm, parasite, and flea prevention." Additionally, when I say she's scared, I mean terrified. She has this little hiding area I set up for her made out of pillows (for some reason she went under a pile of piles I had and seems to really like them, so I decided to make it into a whole den) and she will not come out of that if I am within about 8 feet of it. If I attempt to approach her while she is out, which again is rarely, she 90% of the time will go right back into her hiding space. Perhaps four times now I have been able to coax her out by setting treats a short distance from her and moving away (although generally even offering her treats will not convince her to come out). I've taken a few opportunities during these rare moments to try and give a gentle stroke but this immediately scares her back into hiding. Therefore, if it isn't vital to give her this shot now, then I will refrain from doing so because otherwise I'd have to capture her.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have something to apply on the neck, right? Not a needle. If so, what you have is a parasite spot-on treatment, not vaccination. Just to prevent future confusion.

How old is the kitty?

Pippers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have something to apply on the neck, right? Not a needle. If so, what you have is a parasite spot-on treatment, not vaccination. Just to prevent future confusion.

How old is the kitty?

How old is the kitty?
Ah, you are correct. I was confused because it had a cap on and looked very much like a shot. She is a little over a year old.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, you are correct. I was confused because it had a cap on and looked very much like a shot. She is a little over a year old.
OK, the chances are the shelter did apply a spot-on treatment and yours is the next one. Flea treatments are usually effective for a month. Then you need to re-apply. You can go another week or two without applying it with not much risk.

It is advised to take the cat to the vet after adopting though. An independent vet I mean and not the shelter's own if they have one. If you haven't already, maybe you can soon take her to the vet. They can apply the spot-on treatment there too. You can discuss with the vet and give her something calming before taking her to the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would wait a few weeks before seeing a vet. It may likely bring on a setback and she will revert back to her hiding, she may be really sacred for a while again, but she should come around a little sooner. If it's just the topical for worms.etc. that can be put off until she trusts you more. Thank you for taking her on, earning her love will be all the sweeter when she gives you her heart.....

Pippers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi P Pippers , has Princess come out of her shell at all? I don't know why but I've been thinking about your post recently.
Hi, unfortunately Princess has yet to really open up. It’s been six weeks now, with little change. I’ve been talking to her every morning when she’s out and about before I get too close. Once I get going of course, she goes back into hiding in her spot. I will occasionally leave treats outside of it, and about twice a day she’ll come out to eat. If I sit still while I’m in the living room, she’ll sit and eat with me nearby. However, if I do anything other than talk to her or shift slightly, she’ll scurry away again. I have noticed that in the morning she is more vocal with me, and will meow at me a bit while I talk to her.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe this post will get moved to behavior topics, but I'm curious to know what Princess's history is as to why she's so fearful. I wonder if it might be time to start blocking her out of the hiding spot and giving her wall space instead to help with confidence. Keeping a tv/radio/YouTube on so there's constant noise instead of abrupt random sounds that spook her. And/or rewarding her social behavior with something super tasty like chicken breast. Have you looked into clicker training? I started doing this with an older kitten and it's increased our relationship points exponentially.
Even though it's been 6 weeks every baby step in the positive direction means so much. I'm curious for updates and I know you have a good heart for taking a rescue in❤

Pippers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe this post will get moved to behavior topics, but I'm curious to know what Princess's history is as to why she's so fearful. I wonder if it might be time to start blocking her out of the hiding spot and giving her wall space instead to help with confidence. Keeping a tv/radio/YouTube on so there's constant noise instead of abrupt random sounds that spook her. And/or rewarding her social behavior with something super tasty like chicken breast. Have you looked into clicker training? I started doing this with an older kitten and it's increased our relationship points exponentially.
Even though it's been 6 weeks every baby step in the positive direction means so much. I'm curious for updates and I know you have a good heart for taking a rescue in❤
Thanks for the interest! It's nice to talk about it.

From what I heard at the shelter, she belonged to a hoarder that kept her in a cage most of her life and simply fed her and gave her water but provided no other interactions or care. That being said, they didn't provide many details overall. Her hiding spot puts her in a place where she should be able to hear a fair deal of sounds from the TV. I think the only random noises that have been startling her are ones I make, i.e. getting up from the sofa, doing anything in the kitchen, and so forth. Other than that though, I don't think noises are too much of an issue.

I think many of my concerns come from the fact that she has no interest in social interaction. She won't approach me, and won't even eat treats that I put down in front of her hiding place until I'm usually gone. Occasionally, she will eat treats out of a spoon I push towards her but even then it takes her a couple of seconds. I think for that reason she probably wouldn't be receptive to clicker training.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With these kinds of kitties, it's a VERY long, patient, road to relaxation for them. I would encourage you to continue doing what you're doing. Sit on the floor in her room with her and read out loud to her. It can be Facebook posts, a book, news, this board, whatever. You just want her to get comfortable with your voice. Sitting on the floor is a more friendly position and less threatening. Also, don't leave food out for her. Go to scheduled feedings. When you go visit her, take food with you, especially smelly wet food. She will learn to associate you with something positive (food). Don't pick her up or force her to come out. Let her blossom at her own pace. Play soothing music for her. They make Relax My Cat music which she might like, but classical seems to work, too. Basically, it's TLC, lots and lots of patience, and steady food supply that wins them over.