Cat UTI + Peeing blood clots

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, y'all - long time lurker on this site, but finally registered and posted to see if anyone else has been through this and can offer any insight.

My 20 year old cat, J, started suddenly peeing blood about 10 days ago. We were prescribed clavamox for the UTI (he had a "couple different types" of bacteria in his pee) and gabapentin for the pain. He's been on the clavamox since then, but still continues to strain and pee blood clots. It's always after a good, healthy, clear pee, so we know he's not blocked. I called the vet and he said to keep him on the 'mox and making sure he's eating, drinking, and going (yes, he is), and that the clots might be from the UTI as it's healing.

Can't find anything similar on the internet and wondering if anyone's been through anything similar? If so, how long did it last and do you have any tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to add: continuing to give him the gabapentin as necessary, to make sure he's not in pain, of course!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Was he peeing blood clots before starting the meds? Did the vet say anything about crystals/stones/sediment in his urine? Did they also do a urine culture? Did they talk about possible bladder inflammation? That can also cause blood in the urine, but I am not sure about blood clots specifically.

With a cat that age, he should have also had full scale blood work done, and probably should have had at least an x-ray to see if that would have shed any more light on the situation. There are so many more things that could be going on besides a UTI.

Sorry for more questions than answers, but I think more investigation is likely needed before you will know what might actually be behind this. Wish I could be more helpful.

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Was he peeing blood clots before starting the meds? Did the vet say anything about crystals/stones/sediment in his urine? Did they also do a urine culture? Did they talk about possible bladder inflammation? That can also cause blood in the urine, but I am not sure about blood clots specifically.

With a cat that age, he should have also had full scale blood work done, and probably should have had at least an x-ray to see if that would have shed any more light on the situation. There are so many more things that could be going on besides a UTI.

Sorry for more questions than answers, but I think more investigation is likely needed before you will know what might actually be behind this. Wish I could be more helpful.
Oh my gosh yes, we have been through full bloodwork and urinalysis twice in the last week, poor bear. Vet said she saw a big clot in his bladder (we are assuming this is what's breaking up and he's peeing out) and that the bladder was inflamed, likely do to the infection (which is being treated). He also had an abdominal US to look for stones (none) and crystals (none). The clots have moved in the last day from being bloody to being mostly mucus-y... so, improvement?? Just wondering if anyone else has been through this! Thanks!

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: still peeing clots and out of Clavamox. Vet is putting him on Orbax. Anyone have any experience with this drug and cats with CKD (creatnine: 4.4)? Makes me nervous because my guy has every bad reaction and side effect ever. sigh...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't help with the issue of CKD, but Feeby has been on Orbax a few times for her UTIs. It has been the only med that has managed to eradicate her infection. Clavamox never worked for her either. I hope J has no issues with the Orbax! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: