Cat UTI came back the day her medicine ended?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 9 month old spayed kitten. She was going to pee constantly earlier this month and straining to pee. I took her to the vet asap and she was diagnosed with a UTI. They weren’t able to get a urine sample but based on her symptoms they said it was most likely that. She had a shot of convenia that they said would be in her system for 14 days.

Her symptoms got better after about 4 days. For the last week and a half she has been peeing normally and I thought we were in the clear. We are now on day 15 of the shot and she is back to peeing frequently and not much is coming out! I don’t see how that can be when the medicine seemed to be working before. Shouldn’t it have knocked the uti out?

i am so stressed out and I want to cry. I’ve had my one cat for 4 years and had NO vet visits but 7 months ago I brought in a feral kitten and I’m now having to make a vet visit once or twice a month. I love both my cats so much but this is so draining (financially and emotionally). I just don’t know what to do.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Getting a urine sample for a urinalysis - and a urine culture - is the only way to know for sure if there is really a UTI, and what antibiotic will eradicate it. Some antibiotics can help to alleviate symptoms but don't necessarily get rid of a UTI. Since your kitten is now having the same issues, the first - and, best - thing to do is get that urine sample and go through the testing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, some of these UTIs can be very specific as to which antibiotics they wiII respond to. CaII your vet, and ask him how to coIIect a sampIe, or ask if he can catheterize to get one.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read this whole section from Cat Info org: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Whether she has a uti or anything else wrong with her urinary system, the vets need to get a urine sample first and foremost. They can do that by taking the urine straight from the bladder with a needle. So make sure you bring in your cat with a full bladder. If her bladder isn't full, then they can give her some iv fluid so her bladder fills up and then get the urine sample. Just like it says on the website.

After that, do a complete urinalysis, along side a bacteria culture test, as well as bacteria sensitivity test which will show which antibiotic is the best to treat it. They can also do an ultrasound on her bladder to make sure there aren't any obstructions or whatever could be plaguing her.

Once you have all that, it will become more clearer on how to treat her specific urinary issues. Also, please read this: Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The anitbiotic effect of Convenia works for about 2 weeks but the drug stays in the body for up to 2 months which can result in adverse effects in some cats.

Antibiotics won't help if the urinary system is just inflammed. Inflammation is treated with steroids or other medicine. The vet needs a urine sample, collected directly from the bladder if needed, and analyze the sameple to determine if bacteria is present or not.