uterus prolapse, mating, iron deficiency

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 months old kitten gave birth to 6 kittens in December and had uterus prolapse (both uterus) and lost lots of blood before vet opened in the morning. She was lucky to survive.. Vet suggested spaying once she recovered fully from blood loss.. she was scheduled to be spayed this March but unfortunately due to state lockdown due to covid 19 she isn't spayed yet. She sneaked out a week ago and i am afraid she might be pregnant again. Will there be any complication again if she gives birth again... what precautions should I take..

We are not in a position to keep them indoors as we live in a small house and her mother adopted us and that is how we ended up with few cats at home

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I personally would suggest that you talk with your vet as soon as you can and get her in, because in my mind this is moving into emergency status. They may do a curbside pickup or whatever, but in any case, talk to your vet really soon.

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contact your vet and other vets to get her spayed asap. Many still do it but its roadside pickup only so your never allowed inside the vet clinic they come out to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi?
I personally would suggest that you talk with your vet as soon as you can and get her in, because in my mind this is moving into emergency status. They may do a curbside pickup or whatever, but in any case, talk to your vet really soon.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Entire state is locked down till 14 th April due to covid 19.. every movement is prohibited that is why feeling so helpless

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give your vet a call anyway, see what they suggest :) even if they can't see her now, if they can see her right then on the 15th it might still be ok.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she gets pregnant now, by April 14th she won't be very far along and the pregnancy can be terminated. So let's hope the lockdown doesn't get extended! I haven't had any personal experience with uterine prolapse but I'm pretty sure they're more prone to prolapse in the future once it's happened.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will a pregnant cat go out looking for a male again ? After mating will she go in heat ? Is it okay to spay 20 days old pregnant cat.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi A Ajano

Yes, yes and yes.

A cat will mate numerous times during a heat cycle with several different tom cats. She can get pregnant by the first male, then mate again and get pregnant by subsequent males too.

Initial matings will stimulate a cat to go into heat.

It is possible to spay a cat that has already and you suspect may be pregnant. The sooner this is done the better. 20 days after mating is fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, after 20 days she can be spayed without any complications. Don't wait much longer though! While a spay/abort can be done at anytime during the pregnancy, if she's too far along there is an increased risk of bleeding, plus some vets (and owners) may feel a moral conflict about aborting at that stage. But at 3 weeks along it's fine.

Some pregnant cats have a hormone surge that makes them act like they're in heat again, so they may go looking. But they can't get pregnant again yet, of course (as mentioned above, at the beginning she can get pregnant by several males, but not after that). Cats CAN get pregnant again right after giving birth, though, so you want to keep her away from intact males until she's spayed.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou all.. I am taking her to the vet as there's a relaxation in shutdown due to covid 19

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi A Ajano

Yes, yes and yes.

A cat will mate numerous times during a heat cycle with several different tom cats. She can get pregnant by the first male, then mate again and get pregnant by subsequent males too.

Initial matings will stimulate a cat to go into heat.

It is possible to spay a cat that has already and you suspect may be pregnant. The sooner this is done the better. 20 days after mating is fine.
If I spay her now she won't die right??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If I spay her now she won't die right??
Nay. All surgery and all pregnancy and delivering has its risks, so unsworen is best.

But spaying say 3 weeks after mating has no increased risks. Spaying during heat, or spaying very late in pregnancy HAS some increased risks, but not now.

So, if you want to play it as safe as you can: find an experienced vet, and let himher spay NOW.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nay. All surgery and all pregnancy and delivering has its risks, so unsworen is best.

But spaying say 3 weeks after mating has no increased risks. Spaying during heat, or spaying very late in pregnancy HAS some increased risks, but not now.

So, if you want to play it as safe as you can: find an experienced vet, and let himher spay NOW.
I took her to vet but the vet examined her and recommended not to spay her.. it seems she doesn't hv sufficient blood in her body .. She had a prolapse in her first delivery in Dec 2019 and I am afraid now.. Couldn't spay her on time due to medical issues and now late due to shutdown 😤😤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I took her to vet but the vet examined her and recommended not to spay her.. it seems she doesn't hv sufficient blood in her body .. She had a prolapse in her first delivery in Dec 2019 and I am afraid now.. Couldn't spay her on time due to medical issues and now late due to shutdown 😤😤
If there are complications, so there are complications. But observe, the risk is big, if she cant stand a spaying now because, so she will have great difficulties with a pregnancy and delivery too...

Try with another vet, whom is experienced vet surgeon. And during the time it takes, let her eat good food, "kitten type". And let her drink lotsa of goat milk too, because it seems she needs all nourishment she can get.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you mean she is anemic?
She isn't anemic..She has good appetite , drinks lots of water and has good energy...

Unfortunately we don't hv many vets here and the ones we hv are not very knowledgeable and experienced as per my observation... That is why I always ask people's opinions on internet to get 2nd opinion. No proper facilities either ...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think that if the vet thinks a spay is risky, a prolapse or hard birthing will be even riskier.

Are there any government vets in your country, or vets who operate around an embassy so that they have more experience with American or European methods?

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think that if the vet thinks a spay is risky, a prolapse or hard birthing will be even riskier.

Are there any government vets in your country, or vets who operate around an embassy so that they have more experience with American or European methods?
Unfortunately no.. we live in a small state in India and mostly neglected by the govt.. Being a vet is not good profession here if one has to make a living.. Many people are not aware of the fact that Vets are for pets and only few people are aware of that.. Because of lack of knowledge many animal does not survive if one gets sick as there are only 2 vets that in know in my Town..