Cat using other cat's litter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved into a new apartment recently and my cat has a cat friend now (he's 5, she's 1). I got him a new pine pellet litter after the move but before the new cat moved in. I mixed it in little by little with his usual odour buster clay litter, and he took to it well, using the litter like usual. The cat came here after some time, before I had to change the litterbox's contents over. At this time, the new cat (Boo) had her litter in my roommate's room, and she mostly stayed in there, and they weren't friendly. They got friendly soon though, and Boo's litter was moved to the bathroom with Lux's. Around this time I had changed Lux's (my cat's) litter to solely the pellet one. Boo was using the pellet one too. Lux pooped in her box but not in his. My roommate thought it would deter him from using her litter only if they had different litters, and also Boo pooped on the floor, so it seemed she prefers the clay. She has a clay one now, and Lux just poops in her box and goes there but not in his! They are really friendly together but it seems they should be using their respective litters? How can I get him to use his own? Help would be appreciated.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand why you don't want them to share the litter boxes. You are now living in a multi cat household and sharing litter boxes is quite normal. Just like people living together. They share the bathrooms in the house don't they? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The issue is that they use only one box, the clay.

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might have to swap to the clay too, to get the boy cat to use the other litter box. You're probably not going to be able to keep them out of each other's litter boxes. My three cats all share litter boxes, and sometimes it seems like they'll use one all day and the other ones will be practically clean. If it's about you and your roommate only cleaning up after your respective cats in their specific litter box, I don't think that's going to work. I think your best bet would be to treat the litter boxes like communal property and just take turns cleaning them out and replacing litter.

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do take turns now that this has transpired. I was hoping that he'd use the pellet litter cause it is healthier for him, at least part of the time. He didn't have an issue with it before the clay litter showed up, so I was wanting to make it so he used the pellet. Would adding clay litter in help?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are going to share litter boxes, which is totally normal. Clay litter isn't unhealthy, though it does make sense to find one with minimal dust. I would make the two boxes the same with a litter they like and not worry about it.

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, fair enough. This makes the most sense, I agree. Thanks for your help.