Cat uses litter box while I'm cleaning it

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not a problem for me, I just always wondered why Flora does this, but every time I clean the litter boxes, Flora insists on using the box I am in the middle of cleaning. I will have already cleaned one box right next to the one I'm cleaning, but she'll be using the one I'm scooping out of. Is there a reason she does this, or is she just a weirdo? (She is a weirdo, but I guess more of a weirdo.)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO, scraping the litter box sounds like a cat covering up poop, and this triggers their need to use the box.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its some kind of prompting. Regardless, its yucky and it bothered me, at least when #2 was involved. I was being sneaky and closing doors for a while, and the habit went away. That is one of my theories about habits -- that you can starve them gone by preventing whatever the habit is for a few weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are weird (in humans' minds anyway). I've had Feeby come to her litterbox while I am cleaning it and wait for me to be done. Other times, she is like 'Uh, no, gotta go NOW'. It also helps for me to mention to you that she is 17+yo, so this has been going for years that I tell her to 'Wait'. She has heard that a lot and for the most part it works after all these years. You might try it, maybe it will eventually 'sink in'!!

donkeyslong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right now, every time I clean it, they use it again and then I have to clean again. Still in training but hopefully eventually no more litter. The main problem is they like to unroll the toilet paper when they use it.
20220512_212200.jpg
20220512_212115.jpg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donkeysling I’m going to go with Jackson Galaxy’s vie on this, which is no! He actually posted a video on YouTube called “Why you should not toilet train your cat”

My cat sometimes wants to go as I scoop one of his litter boxes. So I either scoop the other one while he goes or I just give him space to go, then scoop the box. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sometimes you have to go. He does this maybe once a month or every other month, so it isn’t a daily habit.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donkeyslong I should add as a kid one of my mom’s cats trained himself to use the toilet to pee. She didn’t use a tray or train him, he just jumped up on the toilet, sat down and peed. However if your cats would rather use a box, give the a few boxes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats always use the box as soon as I’m done cleaning it. My parents cat sits there and watches my mom clean it and then uses it

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat generally ignores it when I clean her box, as well as when I throw out the litter and clean it. However, she kind of loses her mind when I put the litter back in, or add more litter. I thought maybe it was being territorial, but it’s only when litter is put in. I have to close the bathroom door, or she’ll hiss at me. She also acts like she wants to fight the bag containing the litter. She’s so weird. Lol