Cat Urine On Silk Sofa

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, some member of our household accidentaly closed the door on my cat while he was in our guest's livingroom. And yes you guessed it, he peed on one of the expensive sofas. I have no idea how to get the smell and stain out because I'm also afraid to damage the sofa! It's silk. Any tips? Please. My mom got really mad at me and said that she'll give up on our cat.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The is a wonderful product called nature's miracle it is an enzyme cleaner. I would try spraying it on a spot that is hidden to make sure that it doesn't damage the fabric. The stuff is great a removing stains and odor. I actually used it to get rid of a stain on a very expensive silk tie. Did she pee on a cushion can the inside stuffing be removed?  It is not fair that people are upset with her, poor thing was locked in the room 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's like one giant semi-rectangular coushin, I think it can be removed. I'm just worried about the stain.
Thank you so much for your help, I'll make sure to look for it.
And yeah it was'nt his fault, but because he had a few accidents before in different areas in the house but when it came to this area my mom got mad because of how expensive the sofa was :(

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This might be a stupid idea but you might consider contacting The National Textile Museum associated with George Washington University in DC. Google it - their contact info is on their website. I'm on a phone so can't link. I have a dim memory of a friend asking them for names of experts in cleaning silk since they do a lot of textile refurbishment. Contact the expert for advice.

This is only if the Nature's Miracle test patch leaves a stain - if it doesn't that's the way to go.

I hope your kitty gets to stay. This really isn't his fault.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://museum.gwu.edu/care-cleaning

Phone: 202-994-5200
museuminfo @ gwu.edu

It's worth calling to see if they can offer any advice on how to clean the silk fabric.

A dry cleaner may be able to get the cushion clean and stain-free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't live in the US :(
However, I was able to clean the area with water and a little bit of baking soda. Thank god it left no stain and no smell (unlease you literally bury your nosr into the sofa). But it's fine since it's not an area that we use regularly+ I'v had Blu for 2 years and that time was the first time he actually went in and "explored the area" and got trapped. It won't happen again :)

Thank you guys for all the help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Water and baking soda won't completely remove the urine smell. You might not smell anything but your cat will and may pee on the cushion again. An enzyme cleaner will completely remove all traces of urine. Your local pet store will have cleaners for pet messes like urine and vomit. Nature's Miracle is a popular US brand but there are many other brands that can be found in other countries.