Cat Urinating and Defecating Right Next to Clean Litter Boxes

Mreid25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I don’t know what to do anymore. We’ve had a ton of issues with my cat peeing under the basement stairs over the past few years and have had to even board it all up, he’s also destroyed three leather couches by peeing on them. He has recently started peeing and pooping right on the ground outside of his two litter boxes despite them both being clean and being exactly where they’ve been his whole life. What can I do?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? How old is he now and how old was he when you got him? What is his diet like (wet and/or dry)? When was the last time he was seen by a vet? Are the litter boxes covered? Have you tried different types of litter? Are the boxes 2x his length? Do you have other pets or small children?

(Trying to think of all the questions our resident experts usually need to know the answers to to help narrow down potential issues)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mreid25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Yes he is neutered, he is about 9 and we got him as a young kitten from someone who found him as a stray. He eats wet food, we’ve had to switch it a few times in the Pat year because he wasn’t eating but he seems to really like this kind. We took him to the vet about 3 months ago after he started drooling a lot when being pet and stopped grooming himself, but they didn’t find anything wrong. He used to have covered litter boxes but didn’t like them so he uses uncovered ones now. I’m not sure if they’re 2x his length but they’re definitely 1.5 at least. And we have two other dogs, but haven’t had any major changes in the house during the times he’s started having these new behaviors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What tests did the vet run? At your cat's age, check ups with the vet should include blood tests (CBC & SuperChem, perhaps a thyroid check), urinalysis, along with the standard physical - if for no other reason than to get baseline numbers that can be used to compare with future tests in order to identify potential issues before they become big problems.

At any rate, have you tried different litters - sometimes a cat's preference can change, or the litter company changes the product and it becomes less appealing. There are also cat attract additives to put in litter to help with its appeal. You can also test out the idea that he no longer likes the feel of litter, by using puppy pee pads inside a box instead of litter. If there is a chance he has any kind of arthritis, lower sided litter boxes might be the answer. You could test that theory by using a large sized cardboard box lid in place of a litter box.

And, if he has repeatedly gone outside the boxes in the same approximate locations, thoroughly cleaning with enzymatic cleaners will at least make those areas less of an invitation to go there again and again.