Cat upset stomach

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I posted a few weeks ago about a cat I had just adopted but was asking about a completely different thing. Those of you who answered were very helpful! Thank you! :)

Since then I took her to the vet. That was about two weeks ago. When I adopted her she was very skinny with oily fur. I was told by the people at the shelter she had just gotten over a URI and had a sensitive stomach. They gave me some of the food she had been eating and said she had to gain some weight and was getting better. I wasn’t given any vet records from the times she was treated for her infection. (Is this something they were supposed to give me? They gave me records of her immunizations and testing they do for all cats that end up at the shelter.)

They had only given her dry food so I got some canned food of the same brand and label (Hills Sensitive Stomach and Skin).
After about a week and a half I noticed she did have a sensitive stomach or at least she had soft stools.
I took her to the vet and told them everything I knew. The vet diagnosed her (without any tests) with possible IBD and an infection and gave her antibiotics and a prescription food for digestion.

They gave my cat one pill and after that I could NOT get her to take any. I mashed up the pills and put them in her food but she would NOT take them. After wasting a few trying different methods with no success, it was a weekend, so I decided to wait until I could contact the vet. She seemed a little bloated and tired over the weekend as well so I became so worried I almost considered taking her to the emergency, though it did seem pretty extreme based on her symptoms being mild. She was still eating and drinking too... The next day she was back to normal.
I read information about the antibiotics metronidazole as well and the possible side effects really scared me. Maybe she had been feeling unwell over the weekend because of the one pill she took? Is it possible for cats to show side effects after just one?

After some thought I wondered if it was possibly not such a good idea to just give her a medication without tests being done. I was going to get a second opinion but she seemed to be doing much better and also gaining a little weight. I decided to wait and see how she was doing without causing her more stress right away going for another vet trip.

For the next week or two she seemed perfectly fine with no diarrhea. She’s active and begging for food as well. I wondered if maybe she had been adjusting to the new canned food I had gotten her as well as adjusting to her new home. Since I had brought her to the vet so soon after adopting her, I didn’t even get a chance to learn her real habits. Also wondered if her symptoms after the vet visit could have been the result of me introducing the little bit of prescription food. I stopped giving her that as well to see how she’d feel.

This morning, almost two weeks after the vet visit, her diarrhea is back and the only change was that she tried a very small piece of chicken two days before...

Now I am wondering if I made the wrong choice by waiting to contact a vet right away and feel so bad!

I then researched more about metronidazole and learned it’s often used to treat giardia.
I don’t remember the vet mentioning that word at all but maybe they did and I missed it? Giardia seems to be something that involves a lot of cleaning and even bathing your cat which makes me wonder why the vet didn’t give me more information on that if it’s what they thought my cat had. I should have asked more questions but was feeling a little uncomfortable at the time. I don’t know why.

Wondering if I should go to another vet for another opinion and to request a test to be done.
Also feeling horrible for my kitty and guilty about things. She really has been doing a lot better until this morning with the diarrhea. :(

I don’t think the vet I took her to was bad. I was just wondering why they didn’t recommended any tests. Reading the possible horrible side effects of the medication made me feel worse about the lack of testing, but now I am confused as to what I should do next. Should I try to give her the medication and follow up with the same vet or go to another one for a different opinion? The vet I went to is pretty far away as well because it was recommended to me by a friend. There is a vet much closer I’m considering. So there is another advantage to taking her to the other one.
If I do go to another vet what questions should I have prepared? Should I tell them I’m going to them for a second opinion?
If I go back to the same vet what should I tell them?
Is it normal to prescribe meds to cats without any form of testing?
Really leaning towards going to a different vet because of all the reasons I mentioned (no tests done, distance, etc.) but feel weird going in as a second choice without following up with the first. Is that weird to do?

Thanks for any advice :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole is used for diarrhea pretty frequently. It should help, but if it isn't then you can also look at her diet. What are you currently feeding her? With IBD there are other medications that can be used including steroids. I would definitely have some bloodwork done and ask them to check a fecal with the Giardia test added on. I am sure you would have been told if the cat had Giardia, since there is a specific medication for that, along with the fact that people and other pets in the home can get it....

It is not wrong to prescribe meds without testing, many people decline tests when the vet recommends it and just treat the symptoms. Metronidazole is a perfectly fine medication to use for the loose stool but it isn't going to get to the bottom of the problem causing it in the first place. Also, no cat is going to willingly take it crushed up in their food, it tastes terrible. You can use a pill popper to pop it right down the back of the cats throat, or try something else like Fortiflora or probiotics as well. These can all be bought at the vet clinic.

Definitely not weird to go to a new vet for another opinion. Just go in and say you think she might have IBD, ongoing diarrhea, etc. Take a stool sample in and ask them to check it for parasites including Giardia. Also see what they say about medication or food recommendations for the diarrhea.

You also just got her right? She may have had a lot of adjusting to new places, new people and new foods. She could just be a little more sensitive to all these changes than other cats causing loose stool.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were in your place I would go to another vet. There could be many reasons for your cats diarrhoea and other symptoms. At the least I would expect blood tests and fecal tests which will rule out quite a few things. I would also contact the shelter and ask for the full history. I was told one of my cats had IBD because he had constant diarrhoea but infact he is allergic to chicken so testing is important to find the cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metronidazole is used for diarrhea pretty frequently. It should help, but if it isn't then you can also look at her diet. What are you currently feeding her? With IBD there are other medications that can be used including steroids. I would definitely have some bloodwork done and ask them to check a fecal with the Giardia test added on. I am sure you would have been told if the cat had Giardia, since there is a specific medication for that, along with the fact that people and other pets in the home can get it....

It is not wrong to prescribe meds without testing, many people decline tests when the vet recommends it and just treat the symptoms. Metronidazole is a perfectly fine medication to use for the loose stool but it isn't going to get to the bottom of the problem causing it in the first place. Also, no cat is going to willingly take it crushed up in their food, it tastes terrible. You can use a pill popper to pop it right down the back of the cats throat, or try something else like Fortiflora or probiotics as well. These can all be bought at the vet clinic.

Definitely not weird to go to a new vet for another opinion. Just go in and say you think she might have IBD, ongoing diarrhea, etc. Take a stool sample in and ask them to check it for parasites including Giardia. Also see what they say about medication or food recommendations for the diarrhea.

You also just got her right? She may have had a lot of adjusting to new places, new people and new foods. She could just be a little more sensitive to all these changes than other cats causing loose stool.
Yes I just got her almost a month ago.
The change in environment was something I thought too and when I learned she had an upset stomach at the shelter I assumed it was because of the treatments she had while there.
I’ve been feeding her Hills Sensitive Stomach and Skin (given to me by the shelter) dry food and the same in wet food form. I think I will take her to get some tests done at the other vet.
I did wonder why the vet wouldn‘t have told me anything about giardia for those very reasons. I believe the vet just said possible infection with IBD.
A pill popper sounds like a good idea. Will probably get one. Was thinking liquid form would be easier than a pill if that was possible because I’ve given animals liquid medications many times before with a syringe, but never pills. Was feeling pretty defeated when I realized how hard it was going to be giving her those nasty tasting meds.
Thank you :)

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I were in your place I would go to another vet. There could be many reasons for your cats diarrhoea and other symptoms. At the least I would expect blood tests and fecal tests which will rule out quite a few things. I would also contact the shelter and ask for the full history. I was told one of my cats had IBD because he had constant diarrhoea but infact he is allergic to chicken so testing is important to find the cause.
Will see about getting her health history from the shelter. I wonder why they didn’t give it to me in the first place. And I will ask for those tests at the other vet. That’s interesting about allergies. I will add that possibility to my list of vet questions as well. Thank you! :)

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again!
I thought I’d post an update about her upset stomach. I was able to get her vet history from the shelter. She was prescribed two different antibiotics for a UTI and a URI while there.

I had a test done and the results came back that she had clostridium! so she was on metronidazole for a week. The original prescription she was given was good except for the part where I couldn’t get her to take the pills. Luckily the vet had it in liquid form. The vet wasn’t sure if she needed more than she was prescribed and I’m waiting to see if she does or not. Even though she has clostridium it’s not clear that it’s the main thing causing her diarrhea and stomach issues so I hope if it is it clears up.. I noticed she had slight diarrhea again after stopping it a few days ago but not consistently.

A new thing I just noticed this morning was a bleeding sore on her head. She has had bald spots on her back feet since I adopted her that I asked about here before. A couple of you told me the bald spots on her feet did not look like ringworm because they’re pretty much identical on each side. A vet agreed and told me it could be allergies.
Could this new sore on her head also be the result of allergies? I am always concerned about ringworm (a friend’s kitten had ringworm once so I know how much trouble that can be) but I’ve had her almost two months and haven’t noticed any other skin problems until now.
She’s indoors so I‘m not thinking fleas as a first possibility but I know it’s not impossible.
I read that stress can also cause cats to scratch a lot. Yesterday we had visitors come over that she is uncomfortable around.
I haven’t noticed her scratching that much but now that she has a sore I’m watching out for that.
I‘m still thinking possible allergies. Since she already has problems with diarrhea and stomach upset I’m also afraid to change her food suddenly.
I was needing to contact the vet about her other issues. Does this seem like something she should actually have another appointment for right away?
And does anyone here have much experience with clostridium?
Thank you!:dancingblackcat:

Attachments

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add that the vet also gave her some fortiflora. :)

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First thing first.

Which Clostridium? If C.difficile, then there is a whole range of hygienic measures to be followed. Fortunately, this is quite rare (uncommon) in cats, but should be seriously treated if found. C difficile spores resist in the environment for months. Have you, or a member of your family, visit an hospital before the infection occurred ?

If C. perfringens, then your vet will probably control the disease quite easy, if the treatment is strictly followed.
C. perfringens is normally present in the environment, but sometime causes infections.

Check the cat's food validity, especially for the dry one. Many people wrongly assume that dry food validity lasts for ever. Also, dont feed the cat raw or under-cooked meat. Humans eat sometime under-cooked meat.

If C. perfringens is recurrent infection (two or three times in a couple of months), than most likely the cat has an underlying condition. Cats have a very strong digestive system.

===

Fleas and other parasites are encountered in indoor cats as well. Preventive treatment is to be applied once in 3-6 months. I won't reject this possibility only because the cat lives indoor.

My tomcat lost a lot of fur in one visit to the vet, because of the stress. But it was about fur from all over the body, not in one spot only.

===

Bald spots & bleeding sore - only the vet can identify the cause. Cats are small animals :-), and for a not trained eye, most wounds look similar.

However, could be a disease but could be a mechanical cause as well. My cat pushed against a nailed wooden board and the result was a mysterious scratch (I found it later). Reported to the vet - nothing more prescribed than drops of iodine.

===

In conclusion, I would recommend a visit to the vet for a thorough health check. Needless to say, the earlier a condition is spotted, the easier is to treat it.

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! When the vet told me the results of her test I asked if I needed to be doing any extra cleaning or anything and the vet said I didn’t need to be concerned with that so I believe it is C. perfringens.
I will double check about that just in case because the other seems pretty bad! Nobody in the household has been to a hospital recently thankfully.
Will check on the food as well.

I‘m going to be bringing her to the vet for the sores on her head as it’s gotten worse since yesterday. That would also be a good time to clarify about her clostridium and treatments. Also am going to be getting her some flea prevention. 🙂
Thanks again!