cat uncomfortable after surgery

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat had eye surgery and he seems uncomfortable. he was prescribed 25mg of gabapentin 2x day. i wish it was a higher dose. i was thinking getting naturvet calming w/ melatonin chews. thought about getting them anyways with helping with teeth brushing on both cats. any recommendations over the counter to make him more comfortable?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For a muscle pull, my cat was prescribed 50mg 2-3 times a day. They should absolutely be able to give him a higher dosage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im gonna wait till tomorrow. he stopped fighting the e collar for the most part. he just sits and stares. surgery was about 22 hours ago. hate seeing him like that. he wont just lay down. idk if its anesthesia still in his system or if hes uncomfortable and doesnt know what to do. i did order a more comfy e collar, its coming tomorrow or day after

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don’t have to take him in again, just ask if yo can give him more. He should be sleeping a lot after something like that.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the thing is, the clinic who did the surgery is a mobile bus. they travel in city and nerby towns. it seems they are not coming back until the 28th. Till then its too far. i might have to call to send records to regular vet. maybe i can get them there?
he is finally resting. hopefuilly he continues to rest, if not, i'll call tomorrow.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
after he ripped some stiches out, he got prescribed more gabapentin. different vet. its 1 ml every 8 hours. isnt that 1000mg? the most i ever gave was 100mg to a 13 lb cat. this cat is 9.5lbs. didnt realized until after i came home. just making sure this isnt a mistake and 1000mg is ok. or maybe im not looking this up right?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That doesn't sound right. Can you call that vet and verify the correct dosage?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound right. Can you call that vet and verify the correct dosage?
i think i figured it out. 1ml = 50mg. his last prescription was 0.50 =25mg...i was on only 4 hours of sleep that day lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very good. LOL, I'm frequently on four hours of sleep. And I couldn't figure dosages without my converter, to begin with.