Cat Unable To Retract Claws.

VelvetRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats from the same litter, they are about 9 mo old now and one of them, Osiris, has huge claws. They are so big to where he has never been able to retract them fully, even as a kitten. I have not clipped either of their nails, and the other cat, Arbor, does not have this issue. Neither of the parent cats had an issue like this either.

This is what his claws look like normally, when relaxed.

And here is how they look being pushed out.

It gets a bit problematic because he accidentally scratches people not meaning too. Why are his claws so large?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: V VelvetRay , welcome to TCS!

Your kitty’s claws are extremely long. You’ll notice that if she walks or run on hard wooded floorings, you hear her claws touching the floorboards and if she is running on the carpet, her claws may get hooked on to the carpet and also if she scratches the scratch pole, the sharpness of her claw may get caught on the post and she may struggle to set it free.

Please clip her nails for her own safety and also for the people around her.

2C1C9D42-F35D-4F74-A162-5086F9DC6F42.jpeg

6B76E905-141D-4979-9674-E48B51CCAB46.jpeg

F379B396-1E26-485F-965B-64BF19A2D62F.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VelvetRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Your kitty’s claws are extremely l

Your kitty’s claws are extremely long. You’ll notice that if she walks or run on hard wooded floorings, you hear her claws touching the floorboards and if she is running on the carpet, her claws may get hooked on to the carpet and also if she scratches the scratch pole, the sharpness of her claw may get caught on the post and she may struggle to set it free.

Please clip her nails for her own safety and also for the people around her.

View attachment 231690

View attachment 231688

View attachment 231689
I did go ahead and clips his nails yesterday, but even with being clipped they still protrude constantly. Is that just a normal thing?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are just really long and in need of clipping.