Cat unable to be seen at the vet.

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what happened? And how your cat is doing? (and by "collar" i assume you mean a "cone"?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what happened? And how your cat is doing? (and by "collar" i assume you mean a "cone"?)
I didn't end up going. He seemed to recover and I took things one step at time. I keep cancelling the appointments and rescheduling them and, if he is in good shape, will cancel.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow this all sounds very frustrating! What stands out to me is that he won't even allow YOU to really touch him outside of very specific circumstances. I wonder what it is that is making this poor cat so reactive and whether there's a neurological cause or a behavioral one. Have you thought of consulting with a cat behaviorist? They may be able to help find was to calm him down enough and make him comfortable enough in the carrier and with people to eventually be able to get him to the vet if it's absolutely necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow this all sounds very frustrating! What stands out to me is that he won't even allow YOU to really touch him outside of very specific circumstances. I wonder what it is that is making this poor cat so reactive and whether there's a neurological cause or a behavioral one. Have you thought of consulting with a cat behaviorist? They may be able to help find was to calm him down enough and make him comfortable enough in the carrier and with people to eventually be able to get him to the vet if it's absolutely necessary.
He is 16. I doubt i am going to change him. I believe it is just because (and I regret this) he is an anxious cat and I have lived with him here alone for 16 years. He isn't used to people touching him and, even with me, he doesn't like it. He has never been a lap cat. He doesn't sleep with me at night. He doesn't jump up on the couch. I get about 20 minutes in the morning when he is feeling happy to get kisses and rubs but, after that... I can stay in my area and he stays in his.

If people come over the house he is interested in checking them out but if they start touching him he will go and hide.

I also do blame the vet. Early on he was open to touching but imho the vet and her techs were needlessly rough and had stupid ideas... like the put a catheter on because they couldn't get urine and kept him at the vet all day torturing him, didn't get urine, and I was easily able to get it by putting a trash bag over the litter (found on google) and letting him go on it. He definitely now associates anyone who wants to touch him -- quickly and forcefully - with a bad thing. But even HE knows when someone is trying and when someone isn't. Frankly, if the vet would just try -- just once -- to work with him and me... but time is always of the essence and they don't want to be patient. Sometimes I feel he simply must have his say. With me, I just patiently stand there and say, I can wait, I let him complain and show me his teeth and eventually he will settle and figure out that he has to comply because i am not going away. No vet wants to be patient like that.

I also feel the vet simply won't give me drugs that work. They give me gabapentin every time and, when it doesn't work, they just want to give me more. Surely there MUST be something that would work, but they don't seem to know of it.

At 16 years old I feel like it is needless torture to bring him to the vet.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many vets offices arnt 24 hours either so you may need to take him some wa here that has staff 24 hours if he needs anesthetic for anything that way he'll be safe and monitored by staff as he wakes up and comes off the drugs fully. Then you'll hopefully pick him up in a bit of a better state. He'll still be upset but shouldn't be loopy on top of it.