Cat Twitching Violently And Urinating In Sleep

hhfranks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I have an 8 year old indoor orange tabby cat that has an issue that no vet or Google search seems to be able to solve. So I thought I would try here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any thoughts. Thank you in advance! My cat has been twitching and leaking urine while sleeping for at least a year now. He will curl up, fall asleep, begin to twitch a little and then eventually violently twitch, sometimes to the point where his whole body will move. This is oftentimes accompanied by leaking small amounts of urine. If I touch him or pick up his head up it falls right back down, as though he has no control of his muscles. His eyes are also rolled back into his head. These episodes come and go as he sleeps (maybe every 10-20 minutes). I've taken him to multiple vets to try to solve it and nothing we have tried has worked. He has had urinary issues, constipation, etc. in the past but no UTI, they don't think it is seizures (he is fine otherwise), an ultrasound came back fine, he doesn't have blockage when awake, etc. The next step was to take him to a neurologist, as they thought perhaps that was the issue, and test for things like toxoplasmosis (a disease which could impact the nervous system). At this point I am truly stumped and while it doesn't seem to impact his overall health in any way, it does make it challenging to have the whole house smell like cat pee. I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced something similar with a male cat this age? Or if anyone has other ideas of what might be the root cause? Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I won't be much help, but did want to tell you that my cat twitches in her sleep quite frequently. She does not lose urine during the episodes, and I have never tried to touch/move her other than to gently pet her, which sometimes slows or stops the twitching. But, there have been times she's jerked really hard - on a few occasions where she woke herself up, but not always. I thought perhaps she was dreaming or something, but the vet said it is more than likely something neurological.

I have never asked what the vet would do to determine a neurological problem, and if there are any treatments; but, it has never escalated, and because there are no other obvious issues connected with it I haven't pursued it.

Hope others can offer more comparable experiences to yours.

mll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi H hhfranks ,

Did you ever find the answer to this? My cat Clyde has the same problem. It started about 7 years ago and has progressively gotten significantly worse over the years. We have seen many different vets and have never found an answer. They all promise to help and always fall short. We manage by keeping all the sleeping surfaces covered with large cloth waterproof mats (intended for humans).

Thanks,
Mike