Cat Turns Off The Lights

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 7mo cat has recently (tonight) learned that he can turn off the lights in my living room by jumping at the light switch. No complaints here yet, it's just super cute, and since I caught it on film it's super popular on my snap story. Ever since he started jumping at it a few nights ago, I knew it would happen one day. Anyone else's cat do this?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellcome to hell, you have a terrifying combo: a smart and agile cat. Bengals, Savannahs, and Snowshoes are some breeds from which you can expect the kind of hobby you are describing. My bengal X Alice used to have fun turning lights on and off. If she was hungry in the middle of the night and I was not feeding her, she would switch the light on and meow until I filled her bowl.
Next thing are usually doors, so you will probably have to do something to prevent doors to be opened by your cat if the handles are not rounded. In the Bengal cat world, there is an activity called "bengal-proofing your home". You basically want to be sure that doors, windows, cabinets, etc, cannot be opened by non humans. You probably want to reconsider too where to put valuable and delicate objects, as "high" is not going to be safe any more.
My own Bengal, Freya, is luckily too tiny yet to Play with lights and doors, but I am ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm very grateful to not have a Bengal breed then. I can't imagine the havoc they would cause in my apartment! Both of my boys are very agile though, so I have needed to put everything I don't want them getting into up over 6ft high so far. Hopefully they never jump higher than that! I'm very jealous of people with Bengal breeds though. They're so gorgeous!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi - I have one of these delightful cats - a Snowshoe. She'll flip light switches on and off, open doors, unlatch cabinets, turn the TVs, radio and CD player(s) on and off, turn on the water in the sink, reset the thermostats, play with the toaster over switch (now unplugged immediately after each use since she "re-toasted" two slices of bread to near-charcoal), create diversions which allow her to steal slices of pizza (no - honestly - ask my veterinarian - it was his slice of pizza), and basically wreak havoc everywhere in the house.

They are - like Bengals, Thais and Savannahs - too intelligent for their our own good. Two days ago she unlatched the short gate which is closed at the top of the staircase when the Roombas are roombah-ing, and no doubt intentionally guided it onto the staircase, where gravity exerted upon it its inexorable force. Roombas do not do well on staircases, and they do that not-doing-well at great downward speed. The impact knocked the cheap plastic cover off as though it were a cheap plastic cover, and when I discovered what had happened, the poor Roomba was lying wrong side up like a stranded turtle, and buzzing like a solenoid robot, while the Snowshoe calmly disemboweled it.

I consider myself very fortunate indeed; Kieka Kieka has two Snowshoes.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol::lol::lol: Our last cat had a "thing" about switches and buttons and especially loved to turn off the reading lamp between the sofas when it was in use, squeal, then run away. The redial button on the phone, the test button on the printer, and the open/close tray button on the DVD player were also favorites. We had to get an actual lock for our freezer because we'd come home to the door open and everything defrosted. We used to unplug whatever possible before leaving him alone in the house.

Mowgli the Glutton's specialty is cabinet doors, and everything in the pantry has to be stored in big plastic boxes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy turns on the bathroom fan / shower light all the time :doh: It's the switch closest to the bathroom counter. I've taken to turning off the bathroom switches from the circuit breaker so if Leroy flips the switch, the fan and shower light doesn't run all day long and run up the electricity bill.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, well, I used to think it was cute for Colby to jump and turn off the lights... But now he's also turning them on. I'll come home at 1-2am after a night out and the lights will be on when I know they were off when I left. Or I'll wake up in the morning and the lights will be on. I'm not made of money, grad student stipend is enough to live paycheck to paycheck, but I don't want to pay for electricity I'm not using!

I've tried taping small cardboard bits over the switches, but he just tears the cardboard down and then flips the light switch. I'd do something with more staying power if my landlord allowed command strips at all. But alas, I'm lost on what to do to stop the light switch flipping! Any advice?

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I aways joke my house was toddler proof because of my to smart for their on good then i rescused 6 cats two who where 4wks old (a suprise with mama no one knew she had kittens until we went to take her home thank god the head of that operation was doing a health check and noticed milk) so we had to tiny proof it lol

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Time to go shopping in the toddler/baby aisles.

We do not have human children, but we have Ocicats. Ya see that guy in my avatar? yeah... that's Loki. And he earned his name fair and square.

We have had to child lock several cupboards, removed the springy door stoppers, I've had to tape/booby trap my plants, I have to tape my closet shut when we leave for a trip... One day I found Loki at the sliding glass door to the patio with his ears laid back, tail whipping, and growling as he pawed at it. He had figured out that it slides like the closet doors, but it was locked tight, and it was pissing him off!

Oh, and the child locks have to be the magnetic kind, because he figured out that enough persistence he could force the springy kind open. We've actually toilet trained our cats, but haven't taught them how to flush... egads! I can't imagine the water bill if he figured that one out!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was in a store today and saw a switch plate cover that was solid, I think as a childproofing item? Maybe childproof items would be useful in some way.
Is it something that could be used without changing the current switch or adding something large over it? My landlord is slightly old-fashioned and won't let me change any minor appliance in my apartment, is opposed to 'adhesives' on anything, he has no email, no cell phone, and is very strict about everything in general.

When I first was looking at this place he wanted me to declaw any cats I had or would ever have in this place. I negotiated on that aspect, so no declawed cats here! But still, no adhesives ANYWHERE (command strips) in my apartment, and no nails or screws in the walls. But I did just resign for the next year, so I still have the light switch problem, but I can't change anything about the switches/around the switches. It's so frustrating. I've never had a landlord reject command strips. But it's cheap rent for how close to campus it is, so I will follow his rules.