Cat trimming its own nails

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else noticed that a cat will sometimes, while grooming, chew the tips of its claws off to make them the proper length? Our cat does this on his back claws, as if he knows they don't wear down as well. I though it was really cool but I haven't heard anyone else mention it before.

Is it just my cat or do all cats do this?

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen my cats chew on their claws, but I thought they were trying to take off the outer sheaf to reveal the pointy new claw. Hm, interesting. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT QUESTION!!!  I have had cats all my life and have seen this over and over again, and now I see my Speedy do this and to tell you the truth, I never knew the exact reason the cats will do this.

Sometimes it is like a pulling motion and I don't know if she is trimming her nails, getting a piece of thread, fiber out that may be stuck in the nail OR I have also seen the biting/grooming between the toes almost like they are itching there.  It is fascinating to watch.  Maybe a little piece of litter in there?

I can't tell you exactly what is going on with this foot grooming, but just want to let you know yes, I have seen this many times.  I regularly clip Speedy's nails.

Thanks for posing this question as I am interested what other members will say. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo chews on his rear claws to shorten them all the time. I wondered why they rarely needed trimming. I don't know if all cats do this, but Mingo sure does.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have seen my cats chew on their claws, but I thought they were trying to take off the outer sheaf to reveal the pointy new claw. Hm, interesting. 
I am learning something about cats all the time on TCS!  I never knew about the outer sheaf that eventually sheds off until you mentioned it and I googled it and now it makes sense!    Thank you!  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of the reasons cats like to scratch so much. When they do it, the outer sheaf often pulls off. We used to call it "sharpening their claws" instead of "scratching."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's cool that so many cats do it.  : )

You can actually hear Nym biting them. Our dogs sometimes make the same sound when grooming their nails, but I don't think they ever chew them off since their claws are so much thicker. Not to mention, they don't retract so they wear down a lot easier.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trimming? Nooo, Mr Squiggles chews on them to make them sharper. He's the only one of my 5 that does it though.