Cat Tries To Eat Grass

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When your cat tries to eat grass, what should that be telling you about their health and digestion?

When we let my toothless cat outside for some sun he tries to eat grass sometimes.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They also often throw it up after they eat it. I think there are a good number of theories on why some cats eat grass. One is to clean out the digestive tract (by puking after they eat it) maybe to help bring up a hairball or other undigestible matter they may have eaten. There are plenty of other explanations but I believe it's mostly this one. I've also seen the outside cats (mostly feral kittens and younger cats) chew on the grass when they are lying in it and it's tall and needs to be mowed. More like it's in their face and they are playing with it rather than eating it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is instinct somehow. Feeby (15+ yo), who has been inside since she was found at around 2 yo, has sought out spider plants to eat whenever she sees/smells one in our house. She does fine without them, but if we don't catch her staring longingly at one, she will eat some and most surely throw it up. Does she need it, I don't know. Does she get it, no.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy pot of "cat grass" from store or grow some myself. Mine eat every morning and usually do not :barf: Just eat like vegetable. When I am late to feed and they eat too much it comes out from front. They are indoor cat never goes out. They also go nuts on this one when I bring some from outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy pot of "cat grass" from store or grow some myself. Mine eat every morning and usually do not :barf: Just eat like vegetable. When I am late to feed and they eat too much it comes out from front. They are indoor cat never goes out. They also go nuts on this one when I bring some from outside.
I'm going to try to grow inside and watch the fun.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine recently became an indoor outdoor cat. I get the whole indoor thing, but he's just so much happier when he has access to the great outdoors. We're kind of out in the countryside so it's mostly just nature.

Anyway, he noms on grass everyday, I haven't seen him throw anything back up though.