Cat tried to attack my baby

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're going to try to work it out. Maybe in the future if you ever let her near your son on a trial basis sedate her beforehand?
I had multiple cats and one was an adult senior feral who I've posted about years ago. He was heartbroken when his favorite tame cat buddy died suddenly and developed diabetes and multiple other illnesses.
All the years I had him in my place I'd never really tamed him to handle him much and he could be quite aggressive to handle but he got sick enough for me to get him in a carrier and to the vet.

Problem was he needed two insulin shots and multiple syringes of liquid medications twice a day.

I had to confine him to the bathroom at first and got a lot of bloody scratches at first. He also needed a diabetic diet so had to be separated from the other cats as his blood sugar was off the charts high so he couldn't eat regular cat food anymore.
I balanced my time between him when he graduated to his extra bedroom and my other clingy cats and my dog. One day I discovered that he absolutely LOVED belly rubs and completely collapsed belly up drooling and purring. That was the magical day I tamed him.
He's the beautiful cat on my picture and my saying.(Inky)
After I got him healthy and stable and beautiful and shiny and tame and bonded to me and he started pushing aside the other cats to sleep on my head and holding my hand/arm in his paw every night and went through so much medical hell, he unfortunately developed cancer. We spent about two or more years battling many medical issues including deafness and him becoming temporarily aggressive again once he suddenly lost all hearing but overcoming it. Then eventually at 15 cancer won. But keeping a cat in its own room and letting it out for parts of the day can definitely be a great solution whatever the reason.

I have another cat that's extremely bonded to me and follows me everywhere but can be very aggressive to strange dogs and other cats. This is a problem because I have an extra job working at home boarding dogs in my home. I never take aggressive dangerous dogs and this cat will walk up to a sleeping small dog his size or puppy and swat and attack it with no provocation. He is always on my bed or right next to me and will attack new nervous dogs looking for reassurance missing their owners. He still bullies and swats my 100 pound dog who's terrified of him.
I've had to do a lot of training and time outs to let him know he can't do that as I love watching dogs and love working from home and need the extra income.
He also can't attack my dog or the other cat/s who live here.
So separating, sedating and behavioral training and timeouts can really help.
I do think you should really rule out all possible sources of pain and side effects of medications though. Many vets automatically rule out aggression as behavioral without really investigating every physical cause of aggression, especially in an animal with any history of behavioral problems. It's like they decide the animal can't actually decide an animal with a history of behavioral issues can really get sick too and stereotype them into behavioral issues only.
I've had to really advocate for my last cat with cancer who was peeing on my bed even though he had a very painful cancer. He stopped peeing on my bed once they increased the pain meds like I insisted. He was 14 and I had him since he was 5 months old and he'd never once peed out of the kitty litter until he got this cancer at 14 and the idiot oncologists still tried to say it was stress and he was anxious. I read that the cancer was extremely painful but apparently they didn't???
I've also had to advocate for my current dog when he had Lyme. He was showing minor symptoms of pain but started getting into fights with other dogs. Vet insisted aggression wasn't a symptom of Lyme. I said well if you hurt all the time and dogs were jumping on you at the park wouldn't you be aggressive??? Pain causes aggressive and he's in pain. I had to insist on the test and it came back positive and the idiot vet still tried to say it's mild don't treat I insisted on treating and my dog was back to his happy playful easygoing self with no more fights in a week!
So if your cat has chronic urinary or other medical issues pain could very well be causing it's chronic behavior issues too. It could be fearful that anyone other than you or any strangers will hurt a sensitive painful spot. Please check it out.