Cat Tree Sanitizing

Donuts&Mangos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they sanitize their cat trees or other things that can't be washed or wiped down. I was thinking of possibly spraying it with rubbing alcohol & dish soap but not sure if it's a good idea.

Thanks!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat shelter I used to volunteer at would wash the trees daily with some kind of non toxic soap solution. You just take a big brush, spray the tree, and scrub. I just don’t know what the solution was made of but maybe someone else who works at a shelter here might know.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they sanitize their cat trees or other things that can't be washed or wiped down. I was thinking of possibly spraying it with rubbing alcohol & dish soap but not sure if it's a good idea.

Thanks!
You can vacuum the cat tree first then steam clean it. This way, no chemicals are used.

Or use a 50:50 water and vinegar and spray and wipe then steam clean.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shelter I volunteer at uses 50:50 water & vinegar unless the cat died/was deadly ill and then they just throw it out rather than risk other cats.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats have passed - both from lymphoma - and I have 2 pretty good-sized cat trees that I'd like to be able to salvage rather than toss; I don't have the money to buy new ones. Wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to clean/disinfect them for new cats to use?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Will any of the older solutions posted work? I have never tried to clean a cat tree aside from with a vacuum or carpet rake. Would something like Nature's Miracle or the like work? To be honest, I am not sure, maybe not picturing it the right way in my mind, about putting soap and water on an entire cat tree but maybe if you brought it outside and got a carpet cleaning solution it would work.

I have a cat with lymphoma right now and she "leaks" a little so I will have to clean the cat trees eventually. Right now I am keeping them seats covered with wash clothes which I can throw in the laundry.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will any of the older solutions posted work? I have never tried to clean a cat tree aside from with a vacuum or carpet rake. Would something like Nature's Miracle or the like work? To be honest, I am not sure, maybe not picturing it the right way in my mind, about putting soap and water on an entire cat tree but maybe if you brought it outside and got a carpet cleaning solution it would work.

I have a cat with lymphoma right now and she "leaks" a little so I will have to clean the cat trees eventually. Right now I am keeping them seats covered with wash clothes which I can throw in the laundry.
Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm going to try the 50/50 water and vinegar, along with combing the carpeting to get the fur out; but I just wasn't sure if that was sufficient to get it clean enough. Maybe I'll also use a non-toxic cleaner and steam clean.