Cat tree options need advice!

PastelPanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to get a cat tree for 2 new kittens since I'm buying all if their stuff at once I cant afford a $100+ tree.
I am stuck between these options. I want to make sure there's enough room, it's tall enough, and there's enough for them to scratch on/play with.
If you have other suggestions around these prices I'm ALL ears!
Screenshot_20200617-110451_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200617-110359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200617-110408_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200617-110422_Gallery.jpg

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They all look good I would go with what’s best for your budget right now What age are the kittens? I can tell you that I started with a smaller tree like your fist option when I first brought my kittens home It worked well for them and by the time they needed a bigger one they had pretty much shredded the little one By then I could afford a bigger one because I had already purchased many of the other things they needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PastelPanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They all look good I would go with what’s best for your budget right now What age are the kittens? I can tell you that I started with a smaller tree like your fist option when I first brought my kittens home It worked well for them and by the time they needed a bigger one they had pretty much shredded the little one By then I could afford a bigger one because I had already purchased many of the other things they needed
Okay thank you! They will be about 6-7 weeks when I'll have them. They we abandoned by their mother and a friend of mine has taken them in for a while. I super nervous I've never had a cat so I'm trying to research and get best I can afford for them. If you have any advice at all I'd appreciate it!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check out local thrift stores and goodwill, my Mom got her cat tree for $30 at a thrift store and it is a solid 6.5 foot tall tree. We cleaned it with deodorizers, disinfectant (it has some bleach stains but the cats don't care) and sat it in a sunny spot for a few days before the cats had access. But you can't beat a $30 price tag.

The one thing to be very cautious with Amazon is that the seller and the item have good ratings, some sellers sneak into good products and sell knock offs. Also, if reviews are over several years make sure you look at recent reviews to ensure they haven't dropped quality.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before buying anything expensive, I would check out the sizes of the lower supports: length, screw size and diameter. Then check whether you can buy replacements for them on the Internet. The lower supports are usually the ones which show wear and tear first and will need replacing. It would be a shame to have to buy another cat tree too soon. One of mine (60") is already well over 15 years old - I have only had to replace each of the 4 bottom supports whenever they started to disintegrate. Now the plush is losing its colour, so I will have no choice but to buy a new one in the near future.

My cats are no longer interested in the higher platforms, in fact they seem to prefer scratching on a single post, 23" high, which I'd bought for young kittens, and sitting on windowsills, desks, radiators or on a couch, rather than on the cat-tree!

You will have to watch 7 week old kittens on 60" cat trees - they love the height but tend to fall off occasionally. Fortunately, all the foster kittens who I had to keep in my living room, for lack of space in the cat-room, landed safely, but one does hear about bad accidents happening when they are so small.

Wishing you lots of fun with your new fur-babies.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would read reviews to make sure the cat trees are sturdy. Some of those types are very prone to falling over and are so small that the kittens would not be able to use it once they reach 6 months lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PastelPanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would read reviews to make sure the cat trees are sturdy. Some of those types are very prone to falling over and are so small that the kittens would not be able to use it once they reach 6 months lol.
I have read the reviews thoroughly but do you have any suggestions for brands or types of cat trees? I'm very new to all of this lol! I've been searching for little over a week every day. There is so many things to consider but I wanna make the best choice I can.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read the reviews thoroughly but do you have any suggestions for brands or types of cat trees? I'm very new to all of this lol! I've been searching for little over a week every day. There is so many things to consider but I wanna make the best choice I can.
I like Kitty Mansions Deluxe lines, but they are on the more expensive side. I prefer to see cat trees in person and be able to feel how solid (or not they are).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are recommendations for cat trees in this thread:

Don't feel that you need to get everything for your kittens at once. Just have the basics for now and buy more things later. The kittens won't care. A sturdy cat tree can be pricey so you may want to start saving up now for a good quality tree.

Your kittens may enjoy this inexpensive modular furniture: Kitty City: Innovative Products to Satisfy Your Feline's Needs - HOME You can rearrange the parts as often as you like to keep the kittens entertained.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought Neko-chan the AmeriCat cat tree from chewy. It was a good price and had hardware to anchor it to the wall.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have ordered a couple of Frisco Cat Trees from Chewy. Made very well, easy to assemble, good hardware and directions.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look up the manufacturer for any "budget" Cat furniture you're considering, if it's made in china give it a pass. Their shoddy quality is more apparent with pet furniture, I've been burned too many times by made in china pet products arriving broken, missing parts, or having parts not fit together properly and I've gotten rather tired of having to return something or drill new holes so I can assemble it.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look up the manufacturer for any "budget" Cat furniture you're considering, if it's made in china give it a pass. Their shoddy quality is more apparent with pet furniture, I've been burned too many times by made in china pet products arriving broken, missing parts, or having parts not fit together properly and I've gotten rather tired of having to return something or drill new holes so I can assemble it.
Frisco Trees I purchased were made in China and were excellent.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What is the footprint for each tree (dimensions of the base)? If it's too small the whole thing can tip over when kittens get too rambunctious. I'd go for the blue one with the ladder because it looks like the ladder would keep it from tipping. Otherwise, the last one that fits in a corner so you have the support of 2 walls.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the tree will be placed next to a wall or in a corner, it would be best to use furniture safety straps to secure the tree to the wall studs to prevent it from toppling over and causing damage or injury.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd go for the taller ones since kittens always want up up up and they jump and climb happily. Sturdiness in not necessary until they grow full in size and jump like Olympic athletes. In that case, you can stabilize by attaching to a wall or other furniture, or add weight to the base

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to get a cat tree for 2 new kittens since I'm buying all if their stuff at once I cant afford a $100+ tree.
I am stuck between these options. I want to make sure there's enough room, it's tall enough, and there's enough for them to scratch on/play with.
If you have other suggestions around these prices I'm ALL ears!View attachment 339439View attachment 339436View attachment 339437View attachment 339438
My 72in tower is by go pet club. I've had it for 8 yrs and still do! They have never used the circular scratchers

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Suggest you wait after getting the kittens. Myself also in process of getting the basic items but mostly second hand. But friend of mine who has 2 cats advised that his cats rather prefer coffee tables and sofa to his cat tree/condo as they don't like to climb much. So he ask me to get a scratching post first and see the kittens character before deciding on the tree.