Cat Tree Alternative?

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need some suggestions. Mike and I are both pretty anal people, lol. We want to build Leiki something that she can crawl around on, play on and get pretty high up, but that looks like a piece of furniture rather than something specifically for the animals.

We've done pretty good with the dogs' stuff, their beds match our furniture well and are strategically placed in areas that the dogs like to lay but that are also not in the way (one is shoved in the bottom part of our entertainment stand, the other is right beside the couch on top of a stack of blankets - guests have actually used it as a pillow before, lol). Their crates in the living room are also hidden as rather large end tables. Their crate in the bedroom is a larger table that we have a TV on.

Anyways, while I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with having a traditional cat tree, Mike is completely opposed. Any suggestions on how we can make some sort of cat climbing/lounging device that would not necessarily look like animal furniture?

I saw a post where there were shelves on the walls for the cats, I like that idea and Mike likes it too, but we don't have the wall space here for that at the moment (we're hoping to move within the next few months). The only problem we foresee with that is her jumping up onto shelves that she isn't supposed to be on - right now she doesn't do that. I also don't know that I could stand having shelves that don't have something on them. I was thinking about getting some heavy duty velcro and putting some of our non breakable trinkets on the shelves with that, but I'm not sure yet.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are moving, there is no point in shelves, but for later they can look very nice.
Also can see my amateur setup here.

Just a note though that cats don't necessarily knock things off shelves, mine never touch my projector, mouse, keyboard on the big shelf. Also, cats have limits to how high they are regularly willing to jump up and down from things, and I usually estimate it at bellybutton height and above I'm 6'. Preferred is between knee and waist height from what I've seen.

And you can apply that knowledge to furniture, as just about anything will do.

1) Does it have levels spaced as previously mentioned?
2) Does it have sufficient height?
3) Are the levels big enough to lay down on?

Thats it really, so shop wherever you like. No matter the material, you can always just slap on something like adhesive cork cabinet liner or use carpet tape to hold on carpet or similar.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

I need some suggestions. Mike and I are both pretty anal people, lol. We want to build Leiki something that she can crawl around on, play on and get pretty high up, but that looks like a piece of furniture rather than something specifically for the animals.

We've done pretty good with the dogs' stuff, their beds match our furniture well and are strategically placed in areas that the dogs like to lay but that are also not in the way (one is shoved in the bottom part of our entertainment stand, the other is right beside the couch on top of a stack of blankets - guests have actually used it as a pillow before, lol). Their crates in the living room are also hidden as rather large end tables. Their crate in the bedroom is a larger table that we have a TV on.

Anyways, while I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with having a traditional cat tree, Mike is completely opposed. Any suggestions on how we can make some sort of cat climbing/lounging device that would not necessarily look like animal furniture?

I saw a post where there were shelves on the walls for the cats, I like that idea and Mike likes it too, but we don't have the wall space here for that at the moment (we're hoping to move within the next few months). The only problem we foresee with that is her jumping up onto shelves that she isn't supposed to be on - right now she doesn't do that. I also don't know that I could stand having shelves that don't have something on them. I was thinking about getting some heavy duty velcro and putting some of our non breakable trinkets on the shelves with that, but I'm not sure yet.
Design and build your own.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a cat tree. My cats mostly just use the fireplace or the top of the china cabinet if they want to be up high.
I have some cardboard scratchers around the house and two S-shaped ones.

I also have two of these:
http://www.citykittyclimber.com/kitty/City_Kitty.html

They are climbing posts that hook onto a door and are flat against the door, so they're not very noticeable. I put a toy at the top of one of them so the cats have something to chase when they climb it.

My brother has an "Acacia Cat Tree" from here:
http://www.squarecathabitat.com/index.html

These are very nice look, you can get them in wood colors to match your furniture and they do look like a piece of furniture or an abstract sculpture.

Here is Roxy on it:

There is also this, but it is rather expensive:
http://www.therefinedfeline.com/lotus-cat-furniture.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ducman - I LOVE your set up! That's really neat. I wish Leiki didn't knock things down, but she does, lol... a lot. We have a shelf in our bedroom right under the window and she will jump up onto it (from a chair) and then into the window. We had to move everything off the shelf because she would get curious and play with something, knock it down, or just weave around/headbutt things if they were heavier until they fell down. I'm seriously starting to think she just likes to watch me clean up after her

I saw this last night when I decided to do a google search. I really like it and like how they use decals so the wall doesn't look as bare. I actually have some bird ones that we haven't put up because we don't know when we're going to move. I showed it to Mike and he also liked it, so that's a bonus!

Now we just have to find a place to move... but first we have to find out what Mike's schedule is going to be like at work, lol.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look online and in catalogs. There are some cat trees that have the more "modern" design that aren't covered in carpet or a fleecy fabric. These are mostly very nice looking wood (not particle board) and woven sisal. I think those designs look more or less like some of the odd modern design book shelves you can get.
The only down side is that they tend to cost more.

The two of you may find one of those type that are a better fit style wise while still being cat furniture.

As for actually putting shelves on the wall. You can't just stick a shelf anywhere and expect it to hold a cat. For a shelf to really hold up any significant weight (and the force of a cat jumping up and down) you need to screw into the studs in the wall.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really like those Acacia products, especially the bamboo! Considering how simple it looks to build though, it sure is expensive.

I guess the difference is that its a niche product, so they don't have an assembly line factory pumping out hundreds a day to bring costs down.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Any shelves we have on the walls are sturdy enough to hold our two dogs at least (about 35 lbs combined) because they like to go up in the window sill too, lol, so we definitely know how to install shelves correctly to hold the weight.

I've got a lot of DIY projects lined up for when we move, I'm super excited! I need to make a litter box holder cabinet thingy, some sort of cat tree device, lol, a place to hide the dog/cat toys (right now they're just in a basket) and some other things.

One thing about the cat tree - we can't have anything free standing, lol. We're both incredibly clumsy and tend to trip over everything (including out gigantic coffee table, lol).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

One thing about the cat tree - we can't have anything free standing, lol. We're both incredibly clumsy and tend to trip over everything (including out gigantic coffee table, lol).
I don't know about anyone else... But I don't like large items out in the middle of the room. Seems like a dumb place to put something. I, and many others, put our cat trees in a corner. Scratching posts are moved over out of walkways to prevent stubbed toes.

I have yet to tip or trip over any cat furniture and I have balance and spatial issues, plus frequently lose my vision entirely when standing up (this is why furniture in the middle of the room is stupid). I'd be more likely to take out our 46" flat screen than knock over cat furniture that has a wide heavy base.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

If you are moving, there is no point in shelves, but for later they can look very nice.

Just a note though that cats don't necessarily knock things off shelves, mine never touch my projector, mouse, keyboard on the big shelf. Also, cats have limits to how high they are regularly willing to jump up and down from things, and I usually estimate it at bellybutton height and above I'm 6'. Preferred is between knee and waist height from what I've seen.

Thats it really, so shop wherever you like. No matter the material, you can always just slap on something like adhesive cork cabinet liner or use carpet tape to hold on carpet or similar.
WOW!!!!!!!! Your cats are so happy! That is just awesome! I have been trying to talk DH into the walkways and the shelves would be a great start. Love it!!!!!!!!!!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't know about anyone else... But I don't like large items out in the middle of the room. Seems like a dumb place to put something. I, and many others, put our cat trees in a corner. Scratching posts are moved over out of walkways to prevent stubbed toes.

I have yet to tip or trip over any cat furniture and I have balance and spatial issues, plus frequently lose my vision entirely when standing up (this is why furniture in the middle of the room is stupid). I'd be more likely to take out our 46" flat screen than knock over cat furniture that has a wide heavy base.
I'm not so concerned over tripping it, I guess I worded that wrong... I'm more concerned about tripping over something else and going face first into a platform, then having that fall over on top of me, lol. I have already knocked our tv over... so we got a new stand that's a lot sturdier and a lot higher, now if I trip over something and fall into it, I'm going to hit the stand and not the tv (and probably break my wrists).

The main thing that we trip over is the animals, they're always underfoot - more so the cat than the dogs, but the dogs are harder to recover from because they tend to move right to where you're going to put your foot to catch your balance.

We also have a lot of stupid friends that come over, Mike's mostly. I'm afraid that they'd get drunk and try to climb on it, lol. So that's another reason that we don't want to get a traditional cat tree. I know that when I'm home they wouldn't do it, or I could tell them to stop, but they tend to come over before I get home from work. There's only one friend in particular that I think would actually do that, and he doesn't come over much, but we also have friend's with children and I'm just too concerned about something happening to one of them, or the dogs. We're also planning on getting another, much larger, dog in about a year or so, and if s/he even touched a cat tree it would probably fall over - considering this dog is going to be a small horse when it's full grown, lol. I am aware that I can teach the dog to stay away from it, but this is a dog that we're planning on leaving loose when we're not home when it's full grown and out of the puppy stage, so I don't want to take any chances.

I think the shelving along a wall is going to work out well. When we move and get all set up I'll post pictures (but that probably won't be for a couple of months, lol).

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat tree, bookshelf, TV whatever falling over is a realistic concern if its tall w/ a narrow base even in a corner.

Never fear though, there are very inexpensive anchors you can purchase (or just make your own) that tethers them to a stud into the wall.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The trendy cat ones are nice looking, but $$. They just look like shelves. Their website is down at the moment, but they're easy to find online.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have a cat tree so you don't have any experience with one. A good tree is not as flimsy and tip prone as you seem to think they are. (You can't use poorly put together store displays as a reference.)
Your excuses are pretty wild, so I'm thinking the real issue is actually cost.

And if you truly do have a drunk friend thats dumb enough to try climbing a cat tree, have fun when they try to scale the shelves on the wall and bust them off. Kids may try it, too.

If you still want to use the falling into it excuse, have you seen what a shelf to the face does to a person? If the person's lucky they don't break a tooth out.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I really like the shelf idea. I've been using traditional cat trees and those window shelves that are bought at the pet superstores. I saw a television program where the people selling their home had made furniture specifically for their animals. They had shelves on the walls and a really cool book case type thing against one window. I know, it sounds tacky but it was really awesome they way they had done it. Your shelves look really fantastic. I also like the hypnotoad

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You don't have a cat tree so you don't have any experience with one. A good tree is not as flimsy and tip prone as you seem to think they are. (You can't use poorly put together store displays as a reference.)
Your excuses are pretty wild, so I'm thinking the real issue is actually cost.
I find this pretty rude to be honest. I do have experience with cat trees, I grew up with cats and my roommates through college have had cats and cat trees - not flimsy ones either. Apparently, you haven't seen how college kids act when there's a party at your place. The cat trees would get knocked over easily and because we were all renting we couldn't tether them to a wall. These were expensive, sturdy ones.

We are not in college anymore, but we do have friends that are. For the most part, they are well behaved when they're drinking but the one friend is just dumb. We try not to have him over often, mostly because I can't stand him much, but I can't tell my boyfriend not to have his friend over just because I don't like him. I'm not going to tell my boyfriend who he can be friends with and who he can't.

If you still want to use the falling into it excuse, have you seen what a shelf to the face does to a person? If the person's lucky they don't break a tooth out.
I have seen what a shelf does to someone's face, but I also don't have shelves low enough that someone would hit their face on it... they're on the wall, fairly high up. The dogs/cat jump on the back of the couch, then up to the shelf and onto the window sill. The shelves that will be on the wall for the cat will be even higher because we don't want the dogs going up that high, so there is no possibility for someone to smack their face off it.

Falling and tripping is not an excuse, it's a reality here. We are extremely clumsy people and with two dogs and a cat running around that seem to find it funny to trip people, we have to be careful. We are also responsible for people that are coming into our home, I'm not putting something up that's going to be a liability for any of those people, or our pets. If we do decide to get a freestanding cat tree type thing when we move (we haven't decided yet if we're going to buy or rent) it will be anchored to a wall. The fact is, right now we do not have the space to safely have a cat tree - our apartment is pretty small.

Another reason, that I stated before, that we don't want to get a traditional cat tree is that we are getting a massive dog in the next year. I don't want a dog that's 7 feet tall when it stands on it's back legs, and 150 lbs, to put it's feet up on the cat tree because something interests it and pull the thing down. Of course this wouldn't happen when we're home, but our plan is to have the dog out loose when we're not home after it's matured. This breed is very aware of it's size but I have heard horror stories of things like this happening with them. All of the rest of our furniture is box like (does that make sense?), it's impossible to knock over and pretty hard to even move.

Money is not an excuse, that's ridiculous. We do not want a 6 foot tall tree covered in carpet in our living room. We may look into the other types, but I think the shelves are going to be the best option.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 150lbs and have stood on Parkers cat tree (testing purposes only, I swear
) and it hasn't tipped at all. I suppose they are somewhat tacky looking, but I care more about the cats having an enjoyable place to play/rest than how it looks in the room.
But yeah, if the shelves work for you, than thats all that matters. Good luck!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those Square Cat trees are the best ones I've ever seen. They cost a lot, but as a permanent piece of furniture I can stand to look at and for it to be well made, it's going to cost.

Now I have to figure out where to put it.

Robin

edit: So, I did figure it out. I measured and moved some things around. I have a place now, in front of a 5 ft. high window, overlooking the bird feeder, facing south. So, I ordered the Baobab model. I picked the black laminate with frog mohair inserts. I'm excited, and I think my cats will be quite pleased. Thanks for posting this link, Nekochan. I've been looking for the right cat tree for a long time. My only concern is if the laminate (good product - read all about it) will hold up to cat claws. I really debated getting the bamboo model. But, I have so much wood in my house, including natural woodwork around the windows, 8" baseboards, around the doors, and a picture rail, that I felt another color of wood wasn't a great choice. And of course, it helps that the laminate is $300 less. I'll give a report when it arrives.