Cat treats

Lyn Montgomery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I began giving my 2 cats treats when they were about 6 months old. They never had any problems until about 4 month ago at 6 years old. Vena, sister of Nova starting throwing up and changing her behavier and lost weight. I should have stopped them altogether but unfortunatey didn't. I counted out 7 pieces and cut down the amount i gave to Nova. She seemed to improve. Then one night she chocked couldn't walk and died in my arms. I was giving my cats both party mix and temptations. I dont knough about cats so i joined this site. I now know temptations killed her. Her sister nova starting having the same problems. I stopped all treats and she is doing fine. Still cant forgive myself for not saving vena.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site although I am sorry that such sad circumstances brought you here. Did Nova actually choke on the treats?

It sounds as if you are blaming yourself for having fed the Temptations and Party Mix to your cats. Temptations has been accused of causing renal failure in cats, but this has been hotly debated. The original FB post was deleted and Snopes as called it "unproven." I am only saying this so that you might take some comfort in the fact that you did not hurt your cat.

Yes, many Cat Site members do not feed Temptations, but many do in moderation, including me. They are the only way I can get one of my cats with cardiomyopathy to take his meds. I have used them, in moderation again, for many cats and no one appears to have died from them.

Have you spoken to your vet about the episode that caused Nova's passing and about the fact that Vena had the same issue?. In the event that there is an underlying medical condition, it might be a good idea to take Vena in and tell the vet the whole story and see if he wants to do any testing for her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for your loss :grouphug: It's possible that the actual choking on the treat caused asphyxiation and death. The treat ingredients had nothing to do with the cat dying especially if it was very shortly after eating a treat. Some cats don't bother to crunch a treat before swallowing and that can cause the treat to lodge in the throat. This has happened to one of my cats twice before. Fortunately he somehow managed to get the treat dislodged on his own both times. I now break treats up into minuscule pieces before allowing my cat to eat them.

Pet CPR is something all pet owners should learn how to do. The Red Cross has a list of pet CPR classes on their web site and basic instuctions: How to Perform Pet CPR | Red Cross