Cat Treats

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I recently took my cat to the vet and found out he has polyps in ears. Not a big deal but the vet did advise me to give him routine ear cleanings. It’s been less than a month since the vet cleaned my cat’s ears and he’s continuously started to shake his head again and from what I’ve seen in his ear, he definitely needs another ear cleaning. I just bought one of those cat bags on amazon and my only problem is getting him into the bag. My cat is extremely finicky and not really that big on food or treats. He likes his treats and he likes his food but I haven’t really discovered anything that would make him voluntarily jump into a bag and get trapped. So I’m wondering what are some things you guys use to get your cats to listen. Someone said dried squid and I’m thinking of trying those but I’m just wondering if I have any other options. I give him store bought cat treats regularly so I doubt those would work. Anything else would be helpful. Thanks guys!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use Life Essentials Freeze Dried Chicken. My guys love 'em. Also Purebites chicken.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, any treats made from just freeze-dried chicken or turkey make our cats very happy! Pure Bites are good; they've also liked Bravo.

Good luck with the ear cleaning! (I know from experience that that requires some very good treats!)

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have another person you live with that could hold the bag while you scruff kitty and put him in the bag? I’ve dealt with really crazy feral cats before and even with the crazies I can do it as long as I have another person holding the carrier open. If not I usually try and keep my carriers out a few days around the time I’m taking them and usually they take to it as a bed and then I can sneak and zip them up. But anyway, for a one time bait treat temptations are really great. Just wouldn’t recommend them all the time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats love cracklins. If you're not vegetarian just chop up a bit of unseasoned fat next time your cooking any meat for yourself, put it on very low heat in a non-stick skillet and let it go until the little solid bits are light brown. They'll keep in the refrigerator for at least a week...I'm not sure they ever really go "bad", just stale maybe. They don't last long enough here to know. Just remember to leave some for your cat (they're pretty yummy sprinkled on salad).

Like cheesycats, I also just get the cat accustomed to walking in the carrier when you don't need to get him in. I weigh my cats by setting the carrier on the scale. My backyard feral hates being trapped, but if I feed her for 3-5 days inside the carrier with the door open she gets more comfortable with it. At least enough for me to close it a few times a month for the 2 minutes it takes to weigh her. My senior likes to sleep in a carrier, and it just doesn't bother my third cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can freeze the cracklins orange&white orange&white My parents occasionally buy a package of pork fat from the regular supermarket, cut the fat into pieces, and fry it up into cracklins. Most of it goes into the freezer to use later in various dishes.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can freeze the cracklins orange&white orange&white My parents occasionally buy a package of pork fat from the regular supermarket, cut the fat into pieces, and fry it up into cracklins. Most of it goes into the freezer to use later in various dishes.
I end up with pounds of extra fat from making cat and dog food. Most of the meat cuts are too fatty to put in the food without a lot of trimming, but cracklins are very high in protein after most of the fat is melted out. Cheap treats, too. Might as well use them. :)