Cat treat ideas?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cats love cat treats, LOVE them, but I've been hesitant to buy lately because within the last few years I've been educated/become very aware of the ingredients in certain treats.

Please don't argue with each other or anything if you guys disagree -- but could someone give me some ideas on what treats (and where to get them?) I should be looking at?

My local supermarket has a BUNCH but they are all on a 'do not buy' list. I'm super conscious because my old lady (15 year old female cat, Isabel) has a severe food allergy. She has to have grain free, or she breaks out in these weird hives.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions <3 Happy Sunday!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
A piece of raw or cooked (unseasoned) meat from the butcher.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend getting a good quality dry food and give a tsp as a snack. Tuff gets a tsp of of Fromm once a day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some TCS threads about treats:

What treats do you feed your cat?

Best brand of treats?

what treats are best for cats?

Safe human food for treats

Canned salmon OK as a treat?

what is your kitties favorite treat...

Cat treats!

Plain cooked meat like poached chicken Freeze what you don't use for later treats.

Freeze dried 100% meat treats. You'll have to buy these at a pet store. Some brands are listed here:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is a huge fan of Purebites, they’re literally just freeze dried meat. They have chicken, turkey, liver, beef, and a bunch of other varieties too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! Going to check out those threads now, didn't even realize they were there =D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats absolutely love steamed chicken breast. Steam it, cool it in cold water and chop it up small for them. They go absolutely crazy for it.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll agree with the pure bites. My cat loves the salmon ones. I love that they're just freeze dried salmon bits.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much only feed freeze dried or raw treats. Those fancy freeze dried meal mixers (Instinct, and Stella & Chewy's I think) make pretty good treats and are a lot cheaper! I also stumbled on Plato's dog treats Baltic Sprat recently. I don't normally feed fish, but small fish are better for toxicity worries. They're great: plain, freeze dried whole fish, a couple inches long. Perfect extra-special treat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small Batch makes freeze-dried turkey hearts. Freeze-dried liver treats are also popular. And one that's popular with my toothless cat these days is Feline Natural's freeze-dried Green Tripe. It's soft enough for her to gum through them and she likes them well enough.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- A piece of boiled turkey or chicken breast, preferably with a little water for hydration. Her favorite. (For street cats I put a little multivitamin or malt paste on it sometimes.) There also some complementary foods if there is no time to boil yourself - I keep Chicken fillets - just chicken fillets, a bit rice, and water.

- Kit Cat Purr Puree Plus+ Chicken & Fish Oil (Skin & Coat) when I really need to put more hydration in her, and sometimes the times I will apply spot-on treatment.

- A teaspoon of plain yogurt or less

- Feline Greenies when I need to clean her teeth extra. Just one piece.

- The only time I give another treat is when we need to go to the vet. GimCat stick treats. I use one to get her walk in the carrier herself, to minimalize the stress. (When we come back home from the vet, she gets boiled turkey/chicken as a reward.)

GimCat Sticks Poultry