Cat Treat Help

jack_and_gin19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have suggestions for non freeze dried cat treats that are poultry and fish free? My cat Ginger is on a restricted diet to check for a food allergy. She's also been diagnosed with asthma and I need to try and get her used to the inhaler, but I can't find a treat she'll eat to help with training. Freeze dried holds zero interest for her.

Previously she'd happily eat a few temptations or some of the soft jerky like sticks. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried is just the meat. No fillers like treats. Though some brands add stuff in. So you might have to buy online if not in store. Or beef jurkey Even freeze dried crickets! Yummm

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chicken and fish free and not freeze dried..... that is a tall order.

The best I can say is this, MedalSeries Perfect Purée beef & sardine recipe. It is fish but sardines are small fish so lower mercury risk and they are listed after beef so small amount. It's not salmon or tuna so it may be okay on an elimination diet.

Freeze dried rabbit or beef really is the best option on an elimination diet since they are just the meat. If it's an issue with your cat not liking it you might be able to blend some with water to make a homemade paste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack_and_gin19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Freeze dried is just the meat. No fillers like treats. Though some brands add stuff in. So you might have to buy online if not in store. Or beef jurkey Even freeze dried crickets! Yummm
I'm hoping to find some beef jerky that is cat safe and chewable. I found one that was cat safe but all the reviews mentioned that it was rock hard so their cat couldn't eat it. I haven't tried crickets, maybe those will be a hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack_and_gin19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chicken and fish free and not freeze dried..... that is a tall order.

The best I can say is this, MedalSeries Perfect Purée beef & sardine recipe. It is fish but sardines are small fish so lower mercury risk and they are listed after beef so small amount. It's not salmon or tuna so it may be okay on an elimination diet.

Freeze dried rabbit or beef really is the best option on an elimination diet since they are just the meat. If it's an issue with your cat not liking it you might be able to blend some with water to make a homemade paste.
I know, I wish she liked the freeze dried. She isn't very food motivated at all and she won't even try the freeze dried treats. I'll have to see if rehydrating them makes them more interesting.