Cat traumatized by trip to vets

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Buddy and Smokey to the vets today. Their previous owner had not taken them in a while, so they weren't used to carriers and being handled. Well we got done and back home. Buddy was so scared he wet himself in the carrier on the way home and had to be cleaned off at the vets office. Since then Buddy has been hiding under the bed and will not come out, not even for his dinner. I'm worried as I've never had a cat react this way after coming back from a vet appointment. Should I drag him out or let him be?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him be. It's pretty common actually, especially the peeing in the carrier.

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should tell your vet that the cat is nervous. One of my cats growls all the way to the vet, but she is always very happy to get back (to the same house), she had too many short term homes before I got her. The vet gives her a shot to relax her on the way home.
I agree about just leaving them, reassure them by talking to them in a soothing voice and have life go on as usual. By the time you have to take them to the vet again next year they should be more relaxed.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Let him be. It's pretty common actually, especially the peeing in the carrier.
Dusty has peed and pooped in her carrier when going to the vet. Poor kitty. They will get over the trauma shortly and forget all about it until you bring the dreaded carrier out again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had one pee or poop in the carrier out of fear. Sherman peed in his carrier at the vet, but that was because his bladder was full and they'd just unblocked him.

I do however have one that had some vet caused trauma. Tomas was a happy go lucky kitten unafraid of strangers until he had blood drawn. The vet was having problems hitting a vein and kept poking around - if you've never had this done, you don't know how painful it is.
He's been wary of people he doesn't know (well) since then and will growl, hiss, and try to nip at techs and vets.
He'll also run between windows and growl at strangers and the mailmen/women...

Rescue remedy hasn't worked on him, probably because it isn't simple nervousness, but it make work for your cat.

Also, if your cat has a scheduled vet visit hold off food and water for a little bit. A cat with a full belly is more likely to get car sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buddy seems to be fine now. He ate this morning and there's no hostility towards me or Smokey. I think I'll do one of two things the next time he has to go to the vet - leave the carrier out for a few days so he can get used to it or I can use the giant carrier I have for my 20 lb cat. It's much wider so I can get him in and out easier.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, just let them be.
Also, I'd watch for other things as a result of the stress - for example, the stray I took to the vets came down with a cold right after the visit - not sure if it was the visit or something else - but, just thought I'd mention it to you.

Good on you for taking them to the vet - I hope you didn't get too stressed out!

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie escaped from his carrier and did not went home for about 16 hours. That was his first trip to vet...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're lucky he got over it so quickly. Cindy always hides under the bed after a vet visit, usually for at least a week. Although she does come out once she figures its "safe" - that is, when we are in bed. And last time she was staying out until she got fed in the morning, then heading under. She also avoids me, because even though we both go to the vet with her, I'm the one who picks her up and puts her in the carrier, so I'm the meanie.

I've found that plugging in Feliway sometimes helps a bit.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts was pretty upset at both of us Mon night, but especially Paul. We both took him to the vet but Paul is 'his' human so I guess he was more mad at Paul over it than he was me. I can't say I blame him, he had a thermometer shoved up his rear, they forced him to pee and then they took blood. If that happened to me I'd be mad too.

I have had people screw up drawing blood, when I was pregnant it took my OB's mom 5 times to finally get blood from me. Then for my hediscan(for my gallbladder) it took him 4 sticks to get the IV in. He had the nerve to get mad at me for yelling(I'm sorry it really flipping hurts), it was short sleeve weather in Dallas and I had to walk around with 4 needle punctures right over my veins, I looked like a freaking junkie. I was so worried someone was going to see it and thinking I was 'banging dope'(injecting drugs.)

I know the pain of screwed up blood draws. I've also had veins blow and my veins roll on me. I have tried to donate blood 3 times, they were successful once. I don't even weigh enough(I'm 103 lbs you have to be at least 110 lbs) to donate anymore but I am a very hard stick. If I get someone who knows what they are doing I'm fine, but unless you are experienced you are prolly going to have to stick me multiple times. Also, moving the needle around inside me trying to get the vein is not cool, it really really really hurts. I hate needles and I dread anyone taking my blood who I don't know is already good. I knew if my OBs normal 'vampire' was there I was fine she could stick me easily but if she wasn't and it was OBs mom I knew I was going to end up walking around looking like a pregnant junkie with bruises covering the entire insides of my arms.

Taryn