Cat toys

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I add new cat toys about twice a month and the other day I bought 2 new mouse toys with bells on the tails  but my cats have no interest in them. What is the best cat toys for kittens ?

Cat nip makes my cats crazy.

dejolane

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Every cat is different. Some will play with feathers and others like things that rattle. You'll just have to experiment with your kitties to find out what they prefer. I've spent a lot of money on toys that disappear into a black hole never to be seen again. Given a choice, my cats will go for cardboard boxes or paper (packing paper, tissue paper, Christmas wrapping paper) every time. :)

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. Some will play with feathers and others like things that rattle. You'll just have to experiment with your kitties to find out what they prefer. I've spent a lot of money on toys that disappear into a black hole never to be seen again. Given a choice, my cats will go for cardboard boxes or paper (packing paper, tissue paper, Christmas wrapping paper) every time.
We have the "disappearing toy" problem at my house!  I cannot figure out where all of the cat toys go, especially since they are only kept in the bedroom/bathroom where Stella is when I'm gone.  I did find that she had been stockpiling some behind her litterbox, but that does not account for the loss!

Some cats just don't like toys, and some cats don't like certain toys.  Stella goes crazy for mice that make noise (she has one that rattles and one that makes a crinkly sound) and reuseable grocery bags.  Alafair shows zero interest in any toy unless it has catnip (the interest is short-lived) or something on a stick that you are waving in front of her.  Even then it's hit and miss.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, cats like the strangest things for toys. Sugar and Spice like to play with things that make a lot of noise. Empty aluminum cans, empty water bottles and gallon jugs are a few of their favorites.  They will play with almost anything.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the idea of ping pong balls from someone on here. They are great!  Very cheap, & light, so fun for them to bat around!  The only thing I would suggest is washing them off first. When I took mine out of the package, they had a kinda chemical smell. Angel loves them though! they "fly" pretty good when being batted around.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For kittens I generally recommed you try a variety - things they can bat around, that are light weight balls they can "catch" and flip up into the ai (crinkeballs - which come in mini size, regular and jumbo)r, balls that will roll so they can bat and chase, longer toys for them to wrestle with and rabbit kick (there are a number of longer bodied toys out there - though most have catnip) , if you don't want to deal with catnip, try honeysuckle toys, or unscented natural wool toys.

I agree with the ping pong ball suggestion, if you want colored ones, kitty pongs are pretty :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night was the first time Thunder ever tore up my toilet paper. It was all over the bathroom. Why can't a cat be satisfied with a toy than toilet paper?

dejolane

update;;; I put the toilet paper away from Thunder but she now tries to jump up on the wall to get the toilet paper that I put on a shelf. She isn't a dumb cat she's very smart.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hehe...  Noodles is not allowed in the bathroom because she destroys the toilet paper!

My 2 love the pull tabs from milk jugs or the rings from mayo containers.  Also mylar balls and small mice are popular here.  

I can't have anything with ribbon and I have to shorten or remove tails on the mice even because they will get eaten.  I have to save feathered toys for supervised play too.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
Paper bags, cardboard boxes, the plastic rings off the top of the milk container - all popular in our house. Bazinga has an affinity for my yarn, so I had crocheted some toy mice for her to play with (stuffed with catnip). She prefers those over the store bought ones.  Sam and Lizzie don't care, they'll play with just about any cat toy I have in the house if it happens to be in motion! 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella & Thunder are very picky cats .We moved here in Aug this year and I yet to find their yellow & red mice. They hide things alot.

dejolane

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love Neko flies,ping pong balls, cat spring toys, Hartz mice and kickeroos. They don't seem to get tired of these toys.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heehee. l agree with the poster who said to check under the fridge and stove - that's where all ours end up.

One of my cats loves squished-up paper balls, he'll chase those all day.

One of the other likes rings of all kinds, milk jug rings especially.

They all love the toys made of real fur, they have one now that has a long tail on it, and they go crazy for that one.

l kept a few empty litter boxes and cut holes in them and stacked them. They like to hide and swat at eachother in there.

We also keep a couple of ping-pong balls in the dogs wide water dish, they occasionally like to splash around in it.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have to give them toilet paper rolls they seem to like them alot.

dejolane

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

dejolane
Try giving them paper towel rolls.  They are longer and easier to bunny-kick.  Yesterday I caught Sugar digging some bubble wrap out of a box and taking off with it.  Try that on them, unless they eat plastic.

mimi507

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
depends on your catz personality but some like -

feathers

stick with string tied to the end of it, with something dangling off it - good to drag around the floor for them to pounce on

wind up pretend animals

squeking mice etc

bouncy balls

string 

and yes - toilet rolls! my cat also plays with them all the time, and he loves to chew them! he also likes it when it rolls around so that he can chase a long trail of it!                                                  

Originally Posted by dejolane  

dejolane

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella and Thunder try to eat our plastic bags. I tried rolled up yarn and other things Thunder loves our toilet paper so I have to put it up cause it cost money I don't have.

dejolane

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now all Bella and Thunder wants to do is sleep. I tried to play with them with feathers on a stick but they want no part of it.  And sometimes they chase each other for amusement. How do u get a cat to play?

dejolane

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From my experience, one cannot get a cat to do anything.  They are very strong willed creatures.  They do what they want when they want.

Here is a link I found:

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/9-great-cat-toys-never-meant-to-be

The holiday part needs to be ignored.  I would never let a cat play with tinsel.  I am curious about them playing with tampons.

My sweet Boomer loved to play fetch with Q-tips.  I also tear up strips from the paper and dangle it in front of them.  Some like it, some don't.  Plastic bags are a huge hit but never leave a cat alone with one.  Actually, never leave a cat alone with anything they can choke on or eat that is not food.  Any threadlike toy can seriously harm a cat if it gets wrapped around their intestines.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our older cat adores the little bags that Chinese crispy noodles come in!  We ball them up and toss them to him (empty of course lol!).  It's the crunchy sound that they make, even when they move across the floor.  I have no idea what those bags are made of but they are a fantastic amount of fun for him.  Right now, there are probably several of them in the proverbial black hole of cat toy boxes (i.e.; under the stove or furniture somewhere - thankfully they can't get under our fridge).

Last edited: