Cat toys!? Suggestions please. Am I doing something wrong

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is so fussy with toys. And household objects. Gets bored super quick even if they’re rotated out. He doesn’t want to play with anything for more than a few minutes at a time. He’s 2. Before he’d play and play and play. It seems as he has turned 2, he’s doesn’t play for nearly as long or as hard

he does still every single day with me. Sometimes for ten minutes total, sometimes 20, and sometimes even more than that! On average it’s about two to three times a day anywhere from 10-15 minutes each session.
Today he doesn’t want to play at all. I’ve tried everything.

what are some toys that are good for a picky cat? He doesn’t like da bird, and he’s not a fan of food puzzles either. Doesn’t care for paper balls, foil, string, you name it lol

Is it okay for a cat to not want to play sometimes..? He spends a lot of time roaming around, chilling/scratching on his cat trees, and bird watching from the windows facing the park. I always worry if he doesn’t get a certain amount of playtime everyday he’ll get bored and depressed.

I especially worry about that when he spends two hours under the bed napping in the evenings when I’m home from work. He’ll come greet me, let me love on him, might play for five-ten minutes and then he’s under the bed sleeping for like two hours. I try and play with him before bed so he doesn’t wake me up (like he did last night) but sometimes he just won’t. I think I worry way too much. He’s eating and drinking and using the litter box just fine. Grrrr. I’m such a helicopter cat mom.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is so fussy with toys. And household objects. Gets bored super quick even if they’re rotated out. He doesn’t want to play with anything for more than a few minutes at a time. He’s 2. Before he’d play and play and play. It seems as he has turned 2, he’s doesn’t play for nearly as long or as hard

he does still every single day with me. Sometimes for ten minutes total, sometimes 20, and sometimes even more than that! On average it’s about two to three times a day anywhere from 10-15 minutes each session.
Today he doesn’t want to play at all. I’ve tried everything.

what are some toys that are good for a picky cat? He doesn’t like da bird, and he’s not a fan of food puzzles either. Doesn’t care for paper balls, foil, string, you name it lol

Is it okay for a cat to not want to play sometimes..? He spends a lot of time roaming around, chilling/scratching on his cat trees, and bird watching from the windows facing the park. I always worry if he doesn’t get a certain amount of playtime everyday he’ll get bored and depressed.

I especially worry about that when he spends two hours under the bed napping in the evenings when I’m home from work. He’ll come greet me, let me love on him, might play for five-ten minutes and then he’s under the bed sleeping for like two hours. I try and play with him before bed so he doesn’t wake me up (like he did last night) but sometimes he just won’t. I think I worry way too much. He’s eating and drinking and using the litter box just fine. Grrrr. I’m such a helicopter cat mom.
As long as you don't suspect he is ill, then it's normal that they don't play everyday or for long periods. Cats sleep up to18 hours a day to 'recharge' for a brief session of playing. IF you've rule out illness or injury, have you tried some catnip, a box/papper bag, caps off of a bottle?

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As cats get older they play less. As long as you are offering play time you are doing the right thing. In my experience as cats age they tend to like to play more by themselves. Some of my cats favorite toys include fake mice, balls, twisty ties from bread and rings from milk caps.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one of graycies favorite thing mess/play with is the feeder bugs i give my tarantulas:lol: a few crickets let loose in your house will have him up and running fast i bet

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be a depressed day or two, that's normal. It might be that your cat grew up to be a more chill person.
I never saw or could entice my friend's late cat play. I knew her BTW ages 3 to 11.she would just glance at the toys and shenanigans. She had a content life though, basking in love and cuddles.
My Minish (6) is becoming harder to entertain every year. She seldom plays by herself and she sometimes just moves after a toy for my sake (I cheer up when she plays). She also has higher standards, expects more puzzles than simply running after things.
As adventuregirl adventuregirl said I also think it's our effort that counts. Maybe they don't feel like playing but it's best to offer at every chance, just in case.
And favorite play styles may change over time. For instance minish best likes being chased. She trills as she mock escapes me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as you don't suspect he is ill, then it's normal that they don't play everyday or for long periods. Cats sleep up to18 hours a day to 'recharge' for a brief session of playing. IF you've rule out illness or injury, have you tried some catnip, a box/papper bag, caps off of a bottle?
Yes! He doesn’t really care for catnip, and he has boxes he chews on lol. Also packing paper he likes to mess with occasionally. That’s about it. My house looks like a cat hotel with all of his stuff. I don’t think he’s sick.. he had a vet visit a month ago and was fine just a little chunky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of graycies favorite thing mess/play with is the feeder bugs i give my tarantulas:lol: a few crickets let loose in your house will have him up and running fast i bet
Lmao NOOOO I do not want bugs in the house. He ccasionaly finds ants and will spend time batting those and eating them 🙃

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! He doesn’t really care for catnip, and he has boxes he chews on lol. Also packing paper he likes to mess with occasionally. That’s about it. My house looks like a cat hotel with all of his stuff. I don’t think he’s sick.. he had a vet visit a month ago and was fine just a little chunky.
Just let him play at his own pace. My cats livened up when I got kittens.