Cat Toys Dogs Aren't Interested In

LiluBean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking for something for our 9 month old kittens to chew on that (1) isn't our computer cables and (2) won't be interesting to our dog. While I think that we have finally found a few toys that our dog doesn't appear interested in (mylar-only balls are our biggest success followed by non-fluffy mice), we are looking for some chew toys that our dog won't care about. Has anyone had success with this?

I have seen those catnip sticks advertised. However, I also read that dogs are also attracted to catnip (though it has a calming effect on them). Any experience with this? Food-filled ones are obviously out. I would love any suggestions!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting question. I'm looking forward to seeing any suggestions. I've never lived with a dog and given this thought but now it's in my head I ccan't think of anything!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
None. Also be careful with small cat toys that they don't pose a chocking hazard to your dog.

I have gotten food toys and put them up high where my dog can't reach. Other than that, every chew toy or cat toy I have has to be large enough so even if Bosco does get a hold of it, he won't choke.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, my dog has chewed up silver vine sticks, which the cats went crazy for, but the cats loved it so much that they ate the small chewed up pieces of wood and later vomited everywhere.

I've never had much luck with cat "chew" toys. If they are chewing out of boredom then I think it's better to burn their energy or give them some other kind of mental stimulation.

This is the only toy that they will play with on their own. And then I have these two food toys that I set up high.
upload_2018-1-13_15-1-33.jpeg
upload_2018-1-13_15-2-44.jpeg

Just be careful about if swallowed, things can not only be a choking hazard but also cause intestinal blockage. Like those jingle balls with the bells in them, balls of yarn, rope, stuffed toys with small plastic eyes, any small ball actually.