Cat Toothpaste

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was using some Arm & Hammer Fresh Breath Enzymatic Toothpaste for Cats. I've used toothpaste on my cats before. I put this stuff on the brush, put in on the cat's mouth, cat bolted. "Oh well. That's how it always is." So I grab the second cat. Put the toothpaste on the brush, start brushing. Cat begins to foam at the mouth. I look for the first cat, he's foaming away too. I grabbed a hand towel and wiped it away from both. Neither seems particularly changed, so I'm going to assume I didn't just poison both of my cats. But has anyone else ever had this reaction with enzymatic toothpaste? I'm scared to leave the tube in the house. I've put it in a metal tin in case it tries to come after me in the night.
P.S. Yeah, the tube says "Made in China."

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not used that brand but looking at the ingredients, it has baking soda in it which is causing the foaming. The amount of baking soda in the toothpaste won't harm a cat but it's probably best to use a toothpaste that doesn't cause foaming. CET is a popular brand of pet toothpaste. It's not sold in pet stores so look for it online at Chewy, Amazon, etc. The poultry flavored one is popular with most cats.

If you can't get a refund on the Arm and Hammer toothpaste, just throw the tube away.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd for sure suggest CET, my kitties love it, even the 2 who hate having their teeth brushed lol. My kitten is obsessed with it and will try to lick it off the tube, lick it off the toothbrush when I try to brush the boys teeth.. its uh cat approved here at my house. Just not so much the toothbrush from my boys lol.