Cat toothpaste recommendations

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m trying to find a safe non toxic cat toothpaste. I see many have sorbitol which is not good for cats. Does anyone have a recommendation please?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
DIY: Homemade Cat Toothpaste | Healthy Paws Pet Insurance

This is a homemade one suggested by the insurance company. People like Dr. Mercola also make cat and dog toothpaste, but you will need to determine if you think that the ingredients are okay.

I have no real experience with cat toothpaste, unfortunately, as no one allows it so we have to periodically go to the vet instead.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try this toothpaste that doesn't contain sorbitol: petsmile The chicken flavored one costs $23.75 on Chewy and the london broil flavored one costs $25. Too pricey for pet toothpaste, IMO.

Where have you seen that sorbitol is not good for cats?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 the cats. No one in this house is in favor of dental hygiene. Many cats I have owned have been rescued adult ferals who transitioned to a lovely indoor life but toothpaste was a step too far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom
Domino’s new vet recommended it as he has tartar build up. They sent home a pamphlet stating it’s stage 2 gingivitis.Domino is overweight at 22lbs and has a heart murmur. I was trying to help so Domino wouldn’t have to be sedated for a dental cleaning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree with you that cats need to have dental care regularly provided at home. You are doing the right thing for Domino. bbdoll22 bbdoll22

Some places will offer non anesthesia dental cleaning for pets. That is really only scaling, not cleaning, and the animal must be restrained for it to happen. Not necessarily a good option and potentially very stressful for the animal.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know of any in that area. But I think you are doing the right thing to try to clean Domino's teeth at home and avoid anesthesia and all suspicious dental cleanings like the non anesthesia ones. If he lets you clean his teeth, keep it up and then maybe let the vet have a look to see if you are making progress.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had anesthesia free teeth cleaning done on me. No way would I subject my cat to that kind of torture!