Cat throws up after eating freeze dried

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to eat freeze dried regularly when he was younger. He started throwing up whenever he eats freeze dried.

I have tried different brands such as stella & chewy’s, primal etc. All end up with the same result. He is perfectly health (even went to vet checkup after), but just seem to be unable to digest or tolerate freeze dried. Does anyone have that problem?

(He is currently on wet food diet.)

Side question: has anyone tried SC’s pate, chicken and chicken liver in broth (wet food), or morsels? What are your thoughts?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your cat is vomiting the freeze-dred food. Three questions, just to be clearer on context here. Were you adding water to the freeze-dried foods? Also, what proteins were you feeding? Finally, was there any sign (litterbox straining, pickiness about eating, etc.) that your cat was constipated?

I have not fed S&C wet food but our cats love their frozen raw medallions, which I'd especially recommend for being boneless; bone can cause constipation. One of our cats gets constipated if her diet contains too much (which doesn't seem to be very much!) bone but it's easy to alleviate with small amounts of pumpkin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your cat is vomiting the freeze-dred food. Three questions, just to be clearer on context here. Were you adding water to the freeze-dried foods? Also, what proteins were you feeding? Finally, was there any sign (litterbox straining, pickiness about eating, etc.) that your cat was constipated?

I have not fed S&C wet food but our cats love their frozen raw medallions, which I'd especially recommend for being boneless; bone can cause constipation. One of our cats gets constipated if her diet contains too much (which doesn't seem to be very much!) bone but it's easy to alleviate with small amounts of pumpkin.
I add water to the freeze dried foods. I fed SC chicken morsels freeze dried and have tried primal rabbit formula nuggets. There wasn’t any negative signs other than vomiting.

He would usually eat them, then vomit an hour later. But he is fine eating chicken and rabbit (as proteins) with wet food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used the S&C Tummy Ticklin' Turkey freeze dried raw morsels for a long time with no problems. However, for some odd reason our cat started refusing them several months ago so I stopped since they're not cheap.

You may want to check some of the threads in the forum for Raw & Homecooked Cat food here for other suggestions:
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have one cat who occasionally will vomit Feline Naturals dehydrated (NOT rehydrated) when he gobbles those little logs down too fast. I give them to him as his appetizer before his wet food breakfast. But I suspect he's really regurgitating them from eating too fast.

As to S & C's canned foods, my cats wouldn't even deem to taste them. Total waste of money on my part. I think I tried them all, pate, mousse, etc. just looking for something different for my very picky guy.

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep the pate wet food in my rotation. Compared to other brands with similar ingredients, I find it expensive at $2.68 for 5.5oz so I only buy it on sale or with coupons.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I add water to the freeze dried foods. I fed SC chicken morsels freeze dried and have tried primal rabbit formula nuggets. There wasn’t any negative signs other than vomiting.

He would usually eat them, then vomit an hour later. But he is fine eating chicken and rabbit (as proteins) with wet food.
I feed freeze-dried food to my boys regularly. My older boy will throw up if it's not FULLY hydrated with plenty of water. So I'll add plenty of hot water and let it sit for a bit to be fully hydrated before serving.

The last batch of freeze-dried food had chunks that were way too large, in my opinion. And I found spiky, scratchy things that looked suspiciously like pieces or shafts of feathers. The whole batch just seemed questionable to me - and this is the batch my big boy threw up several times. As long as I pick out the lumps and scratchy things, and ensure it's well hydrated, he seems to keep it down, now.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed freeze-dried food to my boys regularly. My older boy will throw up if it's not FULLY hydrated with plenty of water. So I'll add plenty of hot water and let it sit for a bit to be fully hydrated before serving.

The last batch of freeze-dried food had chunks that were way too large, in my opinion. And I found spiky, scratchy things that looked suspiciously like pieces or shafts of feathers. The whole batch just seemed questionable to me - and this is the batch my big boy threw up several times. As long as I pick out the lumps and scratchy things, and ensure it's well hydrated, he seems to keep it down, now.
These are all really good points. For a meal-sized portion, freeze-dried needs to be fully hydrated. We crumble the food into a dish, add cool water (water that's too hot can apparently diminish some of the benefits of the rawness, though I'm not sure what's warm and what's hot!), and then mix it around, mushing and pressing it with a spoon or fork. Our cats like licking up the gravy it makes.