Cat throws up after bowel movement

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 12 year old cat has always been known to vomit more often than I thought was acceptable. He craves grass and frequently vomits after eating it.

In the past year or two I've noticed frequently him vomiting after a bowel movement. He goes but the stools are loose like clay and bad smelling and shiny. Not dry poop like usual constipation I read on. Right after he goes he vomits food and saliva and some yellow liquid stains but the dry food is brown so could be from that. After he either eats more food and drinks a lot of water or eats more grass to vomit again then eats food and water right away.

He is not losing weight and no appetite loss, he has put almost 2 pounds on, could be overeating plus his age. He only eats dry food and refuses wet, drinks lots of water and I see him pee a lot comes out. I think that could be why he eats grass the fiber either aids in digestion or helps him vomit to rid a bloated feeling. He burps often after eating but is a fast eater, no gas though.

He had bartonella last year but was given antibiotics and tested months later and was said to be cured. We got him from a shelter many years ago plus before that he lived on the streets and someone else's home and was attacked bu a male cat but he wasn't tested for anything by the shelter.

Our other cat has c. Diff we never were able to treat. Had a thorough stool test done and vet said it was barely positive 1% over negative but most likely she has it. and frequently gets loose stool with mucus and little blood, sometimes diarrhea plus bad gas, goes outside litter box often. but rarely vomiting and unlike our other cat loves canned food and drinks little water. Could my other cat have caught it?

Both cats have digestive issues and my cat with diarrhea I try giving a probiotic, but the one vomiting after bathroom won't take probiotic. IBD was mentioned but really we've had no tests done the vets usually feel the belly and we had a basic stool test done which found nothing but I heard those don't find other less common issues. I'm not even 100% sure my other cat has c diff as the symptoms could be other things too.

Any idea what was going on? What tests are the best, money is tight so I want to do the most important ones for now.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm bumping this up.  Running out the door in just a few, but will try to respond when I return, although that will be several hour, at minimum

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand this is not uncommon.  If Obi is going to throw a hairball, it is always after he uses the litter box.  Has your cat had an ultrasound?   

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My girl often interrupts herself while she's trying to poop and leaves the litterbox to vomit, then ends up pooping on the rug, but she IS classically constipated
.  Whenever she does this, I find rock hard stools, followed by a little pile of chocolate pudding

What you haven't mentioned is how long after eating this occurs, and whether or not it's truly vomiting, or if it's really regurgitation.  Does he go thru that hacking and abdominals contracting thing, or does he just open his mouth and out it flows?  AND, when he's in the litterbox, even though his stools aren't rock hard, is he straining quite a bit to get what's in there out?  Also, WHICH dry food are you feeding him?  If he has digestive issues, have you tried changing his kibble to a different one and seen any change in his vomiting frequency over the years?  (they make food for sensitive stomachs, both canned AND kibble)

As far as what might be causing this, it could be any of a dozen (or more) different things.  I know you said money is tight, so I suggest you write down in DETAIL everything that is happening, like you told us, including the answers to my questions, and discuss in detail with your Vet.  Then tell him money is tight and you and your Vet should be able to come up with a plan.  It could be IBD, it could be diabetes, kidney disease, pancreatitis, gastritis, liver disease, etc, etc, etc.  But I'm thinking if this has been going on for years, it's most likely IBD or something similar, which may be eased by a different food, even if it's still kibble, but one will different ingredients.