Cat Throwing up While transitioning food the first day

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats threw up last night (thank god not on the carpet) and I’m leading myself to believe that it was, in fact, the new food despite the many other possibilities. We purchased a bag of Sensitive Stomach since two of our were once known to throw up when they were on a dry food. We switched to a wet food, but the cost of that is a little bit to high even if it did completely stop the throwing up issues we saw in the previous food. We decided to start on dry food again, a different brand and one made for cat over the age of 7, with sensitive stomach and skin (forgive me, I don’t have the brand name right now, I’ll update this post when I can go check) which two of my cats (the ones who used to throw up a lot) fit the bill for. I just started the transition today, I mixed the dry food (not a serving size, only a little bit) with the wet food for two of the cats (the third cat doesn’t need to transition, she doesn’t need the 7+ food yet, she eats a wet food for outdoor cats) and let them eat it, for the dinner a few hours ago. I had planned to continue the transition but then one of the cats who had eaten the dry food, came in my room about 5 minutes ago and threw up twice on the floor. I’m watching her now and she seems fine, I really think it must have been the food. Since the food is for sensitive stomachs I’m kind of surprised- is it the actual food? Or is it just the fact it’s not what her digestive system is used to? I read on the back that it is made of turkey- the thing is I read this AFTER I bought it. I really do think that one of my cats is allergic to turkey, I fed him a few pieces a while back- he threw up both times, which leads me to believe turkey is not something he can eat- with that in mind, the fact that he is blood-related to the cat who just came in my room and threw up maybe that is a confirmation that they really are allergic? I don’t know if that makes sense though- one of the wet food I feed them is made of turkey they never throw up when they have that, but it could just be highly processed to the point it’s barely turkey.

What do you think? Does the turkey allergy make any sense 😅, do you think it was the shock to the digestive system? Should I try a different kind/flavor or continue to transition them onto this food. Also, if I am successful at transitioning them, can I feed them dry food AND wet food- maybe dry food for dinner, wet food for breakfast? Would that be to much of a shock on their systems or would they get used to it? I prefer to give my cats wet food, it’s better for their weight management and they don’t throw up as much, but they go through it fast and it’s expensive.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replied- I won’t see your reply’s until morning when I go to feed the cats. If I get mixed information, I’ll wait for a straight answer to continue transitioning the food.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My Evie has some sort of intolerance to chicken. She will throw up if she has food with chicken as the first ingredient. It can be the second, or third...but not first! So I don't think that a turkey allergy/intolerance is too farfetched. In fact, the dry food we feed is a sensitive formula- with turkey as the first ingredient.

If you think the turkey is the culprit, then try a different protein. Chicken, lamb, duck, etc. You may be able to return the bag of food, or see if your local shelter accepts opened bags of food as donations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Evie has some sort of intolerance to chicken. She will throw up if she has food with chicken as the first ingredient. It can be the second, or third...but not first! So I don't think that a turkey allergy/intolerance is too farfetched. In fact, the dry food we feed is a sensitive formula- with turkey as the first ingredient.

If you think the turkey is the culprit, then try a different protein. Chicken, lamb, duck, etc. You may be able to return the bag of food, or see if your local shelter accepts opened bags of food as donations.
Thanks, they do except donations and we have a stack in the trunk waiting to bring over to them! Our dogs have lots of food allergies so we have to try new foods a lot, so the unused food builds up. I’ll switch to a food with a different ingredient :thumbsup:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A LOT of people feed both wet and dry food, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you just mixed a little bit of the dry into their normal food, It's really hard to say whether or not that's what caused the issue. It could be one of the ingredients in it, or it could just be coincidence. I would probably try it again before giving up on it. If it happens again, then I would absolutely put it on that new food. But it might not be the turkey It could be something else entirely. since we don't know what food it is, it's hard to say, but kibble is normally full of things like wheat gluten, corn, soy, etc, and some cats can't handle those things.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats throws up after slowly transitioning but next meal she does not. Because of her sensitive tummy I only give her wet, not mix wet and dry. Too risky. I have started buying fancy feast classics turkey and giblets and sheba roasted chicken and Turkey on chewy. It is much cheaper than buying in a store. Also feed them rawz and dr elseys. More expensive but it helps that they are getting cheaper and more expensive. Check out the cat food deals forum. Good deals going on now on chewy