Cat Throwing Up On All Hyperthyroid Medication!

Jodierb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is 19 years old she was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago with a over active thyroid and was on some tablets once a day. She threw up a few times sparingly in the two weeks and then on the Sunday this week she started throwing up violently and i had to take her to the emergency vet. She got sorted and was immediately taken off her medication and put on Felimazole tablets twice a day. Within a day and a half she started throwing up all throughout the night every 2 hours. I then took her again back to the vet and she once again got taken off her medication.

She has now been on the ear gel for 3 days and is being given it twice a day and she seems to be doing a lot better on it at the moment then she did on the pills. But she ate some grass the next day and threw up twice purely water. Wednesday was fine but today she threw up once in the morning. The vet tells me to wait till Wednesday to see if she adjusts properly to it. But it seems that im running out of options for her.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem to what im having?
Its causing me so much stress and i just want the best for her.
Can anyone tell me how long it might take for the ear gel to kick in and if she might stop throwing up eventually?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't have much to offer here but with the thought of bumping your post for other members to hopefully have a chance to weigh in, I have a question.
Is she eating and using the box normally otherwise?
It does sound as though her system is calming down a little bit.
However, I'm not a vet, but I'm wondering that if she throws up again, could the dosage be decreased to once a day and then increased back up to twice a day after Wednesday, something like that? Do you have another vet you can speak with?
Also, before the weekend starts can you obtain an emergency number in case you need to call them after regular hours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jodierb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she seems to be using the litter tray just fine and everything seems normal. She's very healthy otherwise and very active likes going outside and loves affection and is still very vocal! All seems normal. She's always quite hungry after she throws up as well and still has an appetite!

She has growing up always thrown up here and there but never like this.
The first vet I went to seemed to think that its not the medication making her throw up so she got an injection in case she had a bug or something and an iv drip etc. The second vet I went to within a week said it is most likely the medication but usually most cats take well to it and some don't. Obviously mine is in that category.

As soon as I have taken her off the medication though she doesn't throw up.
So for now I am sticking with her a total bland diet of chicken and turkey with water and see if she does okay on that for the next day or so. Although she does get pretty bored with that food so fingers crossed!

When I next go to the vets I will let them know about that possibility, thank you guys!

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly... My little guy had the same reaction to all of the hyperthyroidism meds.. Even the gel . When my guy was vomiting he would refuse to eat for days...maybe give the gel another day or two to see if kitty adjusts to it. You can also ask your vet about all natural drops called thyroid gold, or hills science diet thyroid food. I hope you get some answers and please keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jodierb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just keeping everyone updated especially if those who come across the same situation as me in the future can read this thread and it will help them.
I just came back from the vet and we both decided to keep her on the ear gel, twice a day for another few weeks and see how she does till then and she will be getting a blood test done and will also check her kidneys as well.
Everything seems to be going good so far! The vet was very pleased with how she's doing and she said she's stable now which is very good to hear.

The vet recommended that I didn't feed her beef at all as its very fatty but said fish and chicken and wet food of the same flavour should be fine for her. So Im sticking to what she says and seeing how fish goes for her. She does seem to be doing so much better on the ear gel than the tablets which took about a week for her to adjust to properly.
I think with some cats you have to figure out yourself what works best for them with their diet etc and it did take me quite a few weeks to get the hang of all this.

Fingers crossed all continues to go well for her!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The sad truth is that with MANY cats you have to figure it out as you go! Vets can diagnose, but YOU live with that cat day by day, and know best how the cat reacts to different things. It is a blessing when you have a vet who considers you to be an integral and important part of a team!