cat throwing up light brown liquid mixed with some hair, but not full hairball.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20200816_071858.jpg

She already puked up hairball around last week and there were actual hairball. This time there are still hair inside but doesn't form actual "ball".

She got vaccinated on Thursday maybe a side effect? Is this urgent? It's not food as she ate last night around 9pm and this happen on 7AM . She's in hearz otherwise she acts normal, eat, pee poop normally with healthy appetite

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie throws up spit and fur almost every morning around 7 am. I have started using the calendar on my tablet to remind me to brush her and freeze some canned food and put it in a food timer so she is not without food for 10 hours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie throws up spit and fur almost every morning around 7 am. I have started using the calendar on my tablet to remind me to brush her and freeze some canned food and put it in a food timer so she is not without food for 10 hours
Is that normal? I thought hairball is supposed to happen once or twice every month or so

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is supposed to be once a month . My cat Maggie cannot be without food for so long. My other cats can. If it continues ask your vet. My timer has a frozen pouch in it for canned food
Rivel has her usual feeding schedule

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Help it happened again today. I called the vet but it seems they are closeed due to national holiday.

IMG_20200817_075205.jpg

Happened around the same time im the morning. This time it's almost transparent

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blah, Oliver puked this morning 2 peices of kibble which he only ate two peices that was left 5 am, then he puked his breakfast, acid reflux , I dunno, he ate soon after that and hes fine

He pukes, hairball season hacks up hairballs left and right, sometimes Allie pukes like that, no hairball...Puke Puke here there everywhere, I lost concern for it a long long time ago...Sometimes bile

Id be concerned if it continues happening often, if not I wouldnt let it bother me

Sometimes they puke like that before the hairball actually comes out, sometimes it just happens with no hair

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blah, Oliver puked this morning 2 peices of kibble which he only ate two peices that was left 5 am, then he puked his breakfast, acid reflux , I dunno, he ate soon after that and hes fine

He pukes, hairball season hacks up hairballs left and right, sometimes Allie pukes like that, no hairball...Puke Puke here there everywhere, I lost concern for it a long long time ago...Sometimes bile

Id be concerned if it continues happening often, if not I wouldnt let it bother me
It's 2 days in a row now. Maybe vaccine side effect?

She eats, pee and poop normal so far

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just once a day? Id give it another two days and if it still happens then maybe do something...Ive had that happen and couple days later....hairball...

Despite peeps saying throwing up is not normal, cats do throw up quite a bit, mines do..Sometimes the hairball is having a hard time comin up

At one time every breakfast Oliver would throw it up, I dunno if it was acid reflux but I bought a feeder to feed him at 2am, but I dont use it anymore cause he stopped throwing up, except for today

I followed Oliver with the newspaper this morning cause I knew hed puke, and he did right on the paper lol

But yea Allie throws up just like that not often though and shes fine

Last edited:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just once a day? Id give it another two days and if it still happens then maybe do something...Ive had that happen and couple days later....hairball...

Despite peeps saying throwing up is not normal, cats do throw up quite a bit, mines do..Sometimes the hairball is having a hard time comin up

At one time every breakfast Oliver would throw it up, I dunno if it was acid reflux but I bought a feeder to feed him at 2am, but I dont use it anymore cause he stopped throwing up, except for today

I followed Oliver with the newspaper this morning cause I knew hed puke, and he did right on the paper lol

But yea Allie throws up just like that not often though and shes fine
Yeah. I hope it's not urgent. Because afaik most places are closed today.i don't know any emergency 24/7 vet around.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually managed trough the vet yesterday. She say it might be there is too much delay between dinner and breakfast she throw up stomach acid. I fed her tiny bit of kibble around 3 am when i wake up to pee and she's not puking today!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my old cat was throwing up all day,no food, I took her in.
I actually managed trough the vet yesterday. She say it might be there is too much delay between dinner and breakfast she throw up stomach acid. I fed her tiny bit of kibble around 3 am when i wake up to pee and she's not puking today!
This is the timer I bought. If you feed canned, freeze some food before adding it to the timers it comes with 2 and ice packs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9J4SNR/?tag=thecatsite

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cat eat only wet or dry, or a mix?

You can buy a product called Cat Mate. For wet food it comes with ice packs. I also freeze the wet food before putting it into the feeder. I set it up at 8 pm, and she eats in the middle of the night and morning. I set it up again at 8 am. I wouldnt leave wet food for more than 12 hours personally. You can include dry food in some of the sections if you like.

p.s. when my cat has a hairball she will vomit just like that for a couple of days until she works up the hairbaill. This is not a popular remedy but i just give my cat petroleum jelly. I can tell when shes having hairball issues, and she eats the remedy and then you'll see her eating right away. lol

cat mate on amazon

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your cat eat only wet or dry, or a mix?

You can buy a product called Cat Mate. For wet food it comes with ice packs. I also freeze the wet food before putting it into the feeder. I set it up at 8 pm, and she eats in the middle of the night and morning. I set it up again at 8 am. I wouldnt leave wet food for more than 12 hours personally. You can include dry food in some of the sections if you like.
80% wet 20% kibble for treats

the shipping to my country cost more than the item lol. but thank you. it's not a huge priority as i usually wake up at the same each night to go to the bathroom and i can feed her. i have several costs for her that's more urgent like spay on the 26th, then rabies on the september.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
80% wet 20% kibble for treats

the shipping to my country cost more than the item lol. but thank you. it's not a huge priority as i usually wake up at the same each night to go to the bathroom and i can feed her. i have several costs for her that's more urgent like spay on the 26th, then rabies on the september.
Before I got the timers I would set my alarm. Like you said,get up to use the restroom so no prob

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitty isn't an overeater, you can leave some dry food for the night. Or just put some as the last thing before you go to sleep so she won't go long hours without food.

And just for the future, they don't have to throw up hairball when there is a hairball-related problem. Sometimes it slows down the mobility that messes up the digestive system and/or cause constipation.

Small meals throughout the day is easier on the digestion. Mine eats 4 wet food meals - half a can each time so 2 cans in total, and dry food is always available. I'm lucky that mine doesn't overeat though.

But the puke here could also very well be a side effect of the vaccine.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your kitty isn't an overeater, you can leave some dry food for the night. Or just put some as the last thing before you go to sleep so she won't go long hours without food.

And just for the future, they don't have to throw up hairball when there is a hairball-related problem. Sometimes it slows down the mobility that messes up the digestive system and/or cause constipation.

Small meals throughout the day is easier on the digestion. Mine eats 4 wet food meals - half a can each time so 2 cans in total, and dry food is always available. I'm lucky that mine doesn't overeat though.

But the puke here could also very well be a side effect of the vaccine.
yeah, she used to eat 3 times a day but now i make it 4 with reduced portion of canned food + 3 AM snacks so she doesn't starve while i am asleep. dry food is easy and with wet food i usually wait 30 minutes so it's room temperature instead of chiller temp.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, she used to eat 3 times a day but now i make it 4 with reduced portion of canned food + 3 AM snacks so she doesn't starve while i am asleep. dry food is easy and with wet food i usually wait 30 minutes so it's room temperature instead of chiller temp.
I have a small plastic container with top and bottom that separate so I can put a frozen pouch on the bottom. Pretty cooll!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unrelated but when I bought
Amazon.com: WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Cats and Dogs–Features: Distribution Alarms, Portion Control, Voice Recorder, Programmable Timer for up to 4 Meals per Day: Home & Kitchen

for oliver to help acid reflux, but I got it from a private seller on ebay for 50 new in box, oliver puked on the ac adapter and ruined it so i used my cell phone adapter instead...But I wrote to the company asking if i could get a replacement adapter, they told me to leave them a good review and they would mail me adapter...Ended uup they mailed me a whole brand new dispenser, its still new in the box

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unrelated but when I bought
Amazon.com: WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Cats and Dogs–Features: Distribution Alarms, Portion Control, Voice Recorder, Programmable Timer for up to 4 Meals per Day: Home & Kitchen

for oliver to help acid reflux, but I got it from a private seller on ebay for 50 new in box, oliver puked on the ac adapter and ruined it so i used my cell phone adapter instead...But I wrote to the company asking if i could get a replacement adapter, they told me to leave them a good review and they would mail me adapter...Ended uup they mailed me a whole brand new dispenser, its still new in the box
That's awful! The one I bought has no ac adapter. It runs on batteries.