Cat Throwing Up, But Won't Eat Food From Vet.

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pebbles has been throwing up daily over the holiday weekend. She has always had a more sensitive stomach that the other cats. Even as a kitten I had to be careful how she was fed. I took her to the Vet and he just gave her a shot and said to feed her the dry Royal Canine gastro... or Hills i/d dry food. I got the Royal Canine and she won't touch it.

I am afraid she is going to get sicker if I don't get her to eat something that she can keep down.

The options I can think of that would get her eating the fastest are to try switching all of the cats to just Young Again cat food, or a limited ingredient food that is not chicken for awhile before we go back to trying to get them to eat the wet food. I know it would be better if she just ate wet food, but I am afraid she will go too long without food if I just take the dry away. We have tried a sample of the Young Again a few years ago, and she did like it then.

Or I could see if she would eat just plain boiled chicken for a couple of days. I think I have a sample of the supplements you add to cooked meat to make it nutritionally complete if she did eat it.

Her current diet was Dry Blue Wilderness chicken and I put out a variety of wet foods, Sheba cuts & Fancy Feast Classics are the only ones that don't get thrown out to the feral cats, and I am worried one of those could be part of the problem too.

Is there something better than the Royal Canine that she might eat right away?

Would adding probiotics to her food help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Take a look at the link below to see if any of these foods might work for you.

5 Best Cat Foods For Sensitive Stomachs 2018 [Stop Vomiting]

Also, if the only food right now that Pebbles wants to eat is dry, and she can keep that down without throwing up, let her have it - and, you can slowly introduce other wet or dry options to see how she reacts. It is better for her to have dry only right now as opposed to nothing, or very little of something else. Get her back to eating - as you say the fastest that you can.

You will soon hear from other members on this site - likely with better advice than mine. Just wanted to acknowledge your post and start to give you some other foods you could look into.

Do you have idea why she all of sudden started throwing up?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be allergic to some kind of food. Mingo is allergic to fish and seafood and will throw that up no matter what kind of food has it. He doesn't like the vet's foods, either. You probably should feed her the ones she doesn't throw up. It's better to get something in her than let her go hungry.

You also might try using some Feliway. Mingo also vomits when he's stressed, so the vet suggested Feliway to lessen his stress. It does seem to help.

Mingo also throws up after eating catnip or catnip treats. There is no telling what your cat can't handle. Feed her whatever she can keep down.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet do bloodwork or anything at all or just give the shot (what is the shot? Antibiotic?) and give you prescription food and send you on your way?

Probiotics won't help with the vomiting.

You can try toppers like FortiFlora on the food to entice your cat to eat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep tract of the ingredients of the food she throws up. Sweet Gum throws up anything with chicken or chicken meal in it though she can eat food with chicken broth or chicken fat. I'm not sure the vet believes me, but I'm the one picking up the vomit 15 minutes after her meals.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat started throwing up and getting lethargic after eating brands of canned food she had eaten for years. I don't know what changed, but whatever it was was no longer tolerable. She also suddenly couldn't eat Instinct Salmon dry food anymore. All her tests came back perfect, so I knew it wasn't a health problem. The vet (of course) pushed Royal Canin and Science Diet. As soon as I started making her food, no more tummy troubles! Sometimes it's just too hard to find the ingredient(s)that cause the problem.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Especially since the pet food companies can change the ingredients and don't have to put that change on the labels until six months later. It's supposed to be expensive to change the labels, but it can't be more expensive than changing the formula and testing it (ha-ha!)

sabrinah's cats reactions would have made me put the stuff in a safe place where it couldn't harm anyone while I waited to see if there was a recall. As she did, I'd change kit's food. People keep saying you can go suddenly allergic to something, but I think that's the rare thing and the last thing to be considered before the company threw something new or unwanted into the product.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Especially since the pet food companies can change the ingredients and don't have to put that change on the labels until six months later. It's supposed to be expensive to change the labels, but it can't be more expensive than changing the formula and testing it (ha-ha!)

sabrinah's cats reactions would have made me put the stuff in a safe place where it couldn't harm anyone while I waited to see if there was a recall. As she did, I'd change kit's food. People keep saying you can go suddenly allergic to something, but I think that's the rare thing and the last thing to be considered before the company threw something new or unwanted into the product.
There was never a recall on any of those foods (I did hang on to them for many months). When I finally gave it all away, other cats ate them with no problem. My cat just couldn't tolerate whatever the change was.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good you figured out she couldn't eat those foods. SG throws up anything made by Purina or Mars, which cuts a major swath in possible foods. I thought it was chicken in everything but she can eat Fromm's with chicken broth and chicken fat. She does throw up Dr. Esley's chicken that has chicken meat in it, if she gets more than 6 or 7 pieces. She loves the Dr. E so we use 6 pieces as a daily treat. She's happy and I'm hoping she will become used to chicken/or at least able to tolerate it since it's in almost all food.

No, I don't know why she tosses Purina and Mars, I just know we discovered it before we got the dog and threw a lot of food away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped feeding any cat food that has chicken & the throwing up stopped. After a couple of weeks, I tested feeding one of the wet foods that had chicken one day to see if it was just coincidence & later I found where a cat had thrown up. So I think I might have this figured out. The only problem we have right now is that we haven't settled on what cat food is going to be our regular food, so we are still trying different food all of the time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the ingredients carefully. Many that do not use chicken meat, use chicken broth and chicken fat. Our Sweet Gum can't handle food with chicken meat in it, but manages fine with chicken broth and chicken fat. In her case it's probably the collective amount. However she is indoors only so I can watch her, and change the food in a moment if needed. It would be easier if she would eat wet food, but still no.