Cat throwing up and not eating.. why?

blue-eyed-mia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello TheCatSite,

We have a cat, Loki, who is around two years old. Recently our other cat, Mia, passed away due to kidney failure. Loki loved her a lot because they used to sleep and play together. Now Loki isn't eating or drinking (she already doesn't drink a lot of water, but now she isn't at all) and keeps making weird chewing motions on the side of her mouth, like she wants to remove/hack up something.

I don't want her to get sick, so what is the best way to make her eat? She also threw up whatever little food she ate yesterday. We will later today boil chicken for lunch and try feeding her some.

Update: We just gave her food and it looks like she wants to eat but can't. It may be a tooth problem and we are not sure what to do.

Thanks,

blue-eyed-mia

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to take her to the vet to have her examined if she really isn't eating and is throwing up food that is your only real option. Have her mouth examined as well and get her in as soon as possible.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You need to take her to the vet to have her examined if she really isn't eating and is throwing up food that is your only real option. Have her mouth examined as well and get her in as soon as possible.
Agreed.  And the only way you can FORCE a cat to eat is to syringe food into their mouths, but this has to be done the correct way or can cause issues.  If food goes in and then she is vomiting, she could have a blockage....it all depends on how long it's in there, etc, etc, etc.  Many things can cause vomiting, and many things can cause a cat not want to eat. 

Hopefully you have already taken her in, as gong too long without eating can cause additional issues, particularly in cats.

BTW, I am sorry for your loss of MIA

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the mouth motions are what's sometimes called "air chewing," which usually indicates nausea. Nausea can also make a cat stand overs its food, look as if it wants to eat, but then be unable to eat. That might go along with the vomiting.

I, too, hope you've already been able to get Loki to the vet: whether it's teeth or nausea, it sounds like it's serious enough to warrant an immediate trip for help.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have a cat that does the "air chewing". But otherwise he seems fine. Good appetite. Though not sure why he does it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is grieving the loss of her friend, but she needs to go to the vet for a check up and an appetite stimulant.  She may also need some fluids to hydrate her.  Try offering plain meat baby food, chicken or turkey, or Fancy Feast canned food, the original pate form.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though your cat is grieving I still agree with others that this behavior indicates that your cat needs to be examined by a vet.  If your cat is experiencing nausea she is probably not going to eat anything.  I went through this with one of my cats and the vet had to give her nausea meds and an appetite stimulant.  My cat was not grieving but the vet visit fixed the issue.  I tried everything under the sun for 24 hours to get my cat to eat and nothing worked because she was throwing up.  My baby did the whole looking at the food and acting like she wanted to eat but could not eat.  

I was able to get her to start eating again after the vet visit with Fancy Feast Pate wet food.  My cat would not touch baby food.

I am sorry for your loss of Mia.  Our furkids are never with us long enough.

Last edited:

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as Lisa stated the air chewing  snacking noises are signs of nausea in cats.   You need to get her checked asap and make sure they run the test for feline pancreatitis.   specifically request that they run it.  Your kitty has classic symptoms,  even more so if she is an indoor only kitty with no exposure to anything that could poison her or cause gastritis.