Cat can't purr??

frocky the cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Freddie is 11 years old and for the last few weeks he seems to be throwing up all over the house sometimes more than once a day. I'm not sure if it's due to a furball but he already coughed up one recently and is still vomiting any advice??

My cat can't purr instead he makes a wheezing noise just wanted to know if anyone else's cat does this or not

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vomiting like that could be any number of things. Have you changed Freddie's food recently, or checked to see if he has food that has gone 'bad'? Is he otherwise eating well, drinking OK, and using the litter box without issue? Is he prone to eating non-food items? Does he go outside where he could be eating something he shouldn't be? Is he throwing up right after eating, or does it happen hours later?

I saw your other post about wheezing rather than purring. Is this a recent change? If so, it could be tied to this vomiting issue.

At Freddie's age, he should have semi-annual checkups that include blood work and urinalysis. If he hasn't had one recently, now would be a good time to schedule one so these necessities can be addressed along with the vomiting/wheezing at the same time. If he has had one, you are still probably going to have to have him looked at, unless you search for and find a reason behind the vomiting, such as bad food or eating things he shouldn't.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that along with the vomiting that you should probably discuss all this with your Vet. Constant vomiting and suddenly not being able to purr is not normal

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that your cat should get a senior exam from the vet. Vomiting all over the house for the last few weeks is not normal and you need to get at the root of the cause. I thought this TCS Article about what to expect as your cat gets older might have some helpful information for you: What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – TheCatSite Articles

I hope you are able to get some answers and Freddie feels better soon. :crossfingers: Please keep us posted.