My cat started throwing up meals?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2-year old cat has been on a raw diet since he was a kitten. The day before yesterday, I made him a new batch of food and fed him. Yesterday, after eating breakfast he threw up. Then he ate lunch and threw up again. He threw up a third time. I was wondering if maybe it was his food although I’m always very careful when preparing it. Since he had been sick, I gave him some fresh raw chicken breast (I just defrosted it the previous night to give to him for breakfast). He ate it fine in the morning, then had half of his lunch and threw it up. Since he threw up this fresh new food too I don’t think it was the previous batch I made of his food?

I’m not sure what to do. I’m going to take him to the vet but our vet is closed until Saturday so I might have to go to another one. Any tips on what to do or what can help him? I gave him freeze dried chicken after lunch and he hasn’t thrown that up. He still gets hungry and asks for food the problem is he’s been throwing it up. I’m worried he’ll be dehydrated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try boiling some of that chicken breast without seasonings, and possibly adding a little unseasoned white rice to it. Some vets prescribe this with the thought of "resetting" the stomach back to more normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It started yesterday. My cat threw up his breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He still has an appetite but he’s not keeping food down. He’s on a raw diet (he’s 2 and he has been since he was a kitten) so I wondered if his food was contaminated but we are always extremely careful and he has been eating just fine.

I gave him a fresh batch of food today but he threw up again. I’m not sure if he came down with a virus or something else. Our vet is closed until Saturday but I might have to look for a different one take him tomorrow because I’m very worried about him.

He looks fine, he still plays, he still asks for food, and he usually drinks a lot of water. Maybe an hour after throwing up today I gave him some freeze dried chicken when he asked for food to see if maybe that could help and stay down. So far he hasn’t thrown that up and he ate all of it right away.
Is there anything I can do or give him? It’s hard because he doesn’t really like anything that’s not raw (I have tried to give him canned food but he refuses to even touch it) except for tuna (which I know you shouldn’t give cats much of it but he has had a tiny taste once in a while), churu cat treats and the freeze dried chicken breast. He’s very picky. I don’t want him to get dehydrated.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
try breaking the meal into small portion. how fast does he eat? it could be he ate too fast and the esophagus is overloaded.

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
try breaking the meal into small portion. how fast does he eat? it could be he ate too fast and the esophagus is overloaded.
I’m not sure if he’s eating too fast, he’s just eating the way that he normally does. He usually finishes his meal in 3-5 minutes. However, he was eating a little slower for lunch and then he’d throw up.
I’m worried that maybe the food isn’t being digested because it looks pretty whole when he throws it up.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if he’s eating too fast, he’s just eating the way that he normally does. He usually finishes his meal in 3-5 minutes. However, he was eating a little slower for lunch and then he’d throw up.
I’m worried that maybe the food isn’t being digested because it looks pretty whole when he throws it up.
it could be blockage of foreign object in the esophagus. take it to the vet. i lost my first kitty due to this (in the end we never knew if it was a blockage or he was born with defective esophagus ) but yeah, it's urgent imo. vet may get you anti nausea/vomit control medicine, but if you have the fund opt for an x-ray ASAP

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it could be blockage of foreign object in the esophagus. take it to the vet. i lost my first kitty due to this (in the end we never knew if it was a blockage or he was born with defective esophagus ) but yeah, it's urgent imo. vet may get you anti nausea/vomit control medicine, but if you have the fund opt for an x-ray ASAP
I will make sure to take him ASAP, thank you!