Cat Tests Positive for COVID-19

Krienze

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
I'm so confused, I swear I thought there was already news of both a cat and a dog (a pug if i remember correctly?) testing positive for corvid19?? or was it just coronavirus?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
I've been dreading something like this. I'm afraid poorly informed people may abandon their cats for fear they can transmit the virus to their owners.

denice

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
I'm so confused, I swear I thought there was already news of both a cat and a dog (a pug if i remember correctly?) testing positive for corvid19?? or was it just coronavirus?
Some big cats at one of the zoos, I believe it was the Bronx zoo, caught it. They think a keeper had it and contaminated the food. There really is no other way unless one had been anesthetized for a procedure. Bird flu shows up occasionally in tigers at a sanctuary in Thailand by way of contaminated poultry.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
This is the USDA page showing confirmed cases in cats and dogs in the United States:
Considering that there are over four million human cases in the United States, I expect that hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of cats and dogs have been exposed... so it seems that they are probably not at very high risk of catching it from their humans, although it is possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
I've been dreading something like this. I'm afraid poorly informed people may abandon their cats for fear they can transmit the virus to their owners.
This is the USDA page showing confirmed cases in cats and dogs in the United States:
Considering that there are over four million human cases in the United States, I expect that hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of cats and dogs have been exposed... so it seems that they are probably not at very high risk of catching it from their humans, although it is possible.

The link I gave said that the cat got the virus from its owners and that cats have not transmitted the virus to humans so far.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
The link I gave said that the cat got the virus from its owners and that cats have not transmitted the virus to humans so far.
Yes, cats get the virus from their owners, and there are no known cases of transmission from cats to humans. My comment was simply that they don't appear to get it from their owners very often, considering the very large number of cats that have been exposed so far, so I think the risk to cats is low. I wasn't responding to lavishsqualor's comment about people being afraid of getting it from their cats.

Linseylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
Oh gosh 🤦🏻‍♀️ And don’t even mention the jackfruit and Moter oil that tested positive 😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
Masks. For cats. Someone, please, make this a real thing. Then you have to make sure that cats wear them and will distance from each other, and from people.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
Masks. For cats. Someone, please, make this a real thing. Then you have to make sure that cats wear them and will distance from each other, and from people.
Several cats I follow on Instagram have had their own masks made! They look super cute, lol. I don't know how on earth I'd get one on Toffee or Fudge though. Very disappointed they wouldn't tolerate the lion mane I'd got them for Halloween last year :lol:

Linseylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
Perhaps I need a translator . . . because I have utterly no idea what your meaning is here.
I’m just joking lol. Not to long ago a jackfruit and motor oil tested positive for COVID, so I was just playing around. Didn’t mean to offend anyone by It

denice

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
Trying to get Alice to wear a mask could very well then involve me going in to get antibiotics for bites and to have cuts cleaned up, possibly even stitches.