Cat terrorizing household

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm at a loss with this one and I've had cats my whole life.

5 year old female spayed exotic shorthair (not the norm behavior for this laid back breed!) - we've had her since kittenhood and, to be blunt she's always been annoying. I don't think she was socialized well. Healthy girl per recent vet checkup.

Since day 1 she's cried while we nap or sleep. She'll literally wake up when she realizes we're sleeping so she can start howling and running at full speed over our bodies, over and over. The whole "exhaust her with play" thing doesn't work, at all. She is not bored. She is not hungry. She just LOATHES when we sleep. We can't shut the door because she will scream for hours. We haven't had a good night's sleep in 5 years.

She co-existed mostly with the older cat we have. We recently got a kitten and after over 8 weeks of slow introductions things were going fine. She was neutral to everyone as usual. No big deal. But now months in she's decided to start lunging and attacking the cats out of nowhere. Like she will seek out fights with them and chase them down.

She now snarls and freaks out when I pick her up so it's become hard to clean her teeth, clip her nails, or groom her in general.

We've been quarantining her when she does this behavior but everyday it's progressing in severity and someone is going to get hurt. Between never being able to sleep and now her seeking out fights, my tolerance level for her is at an all time low. I really don't have the energy to think about this anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking she might really benefit from anti anxiety meds.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm at a loss with this one and I've had cats my whole life.

5 year old female spayed exotic shorthair (not the norm behavior for this laid back breed!) - we've had her since kittenhood and, to be blunt she's always been annoying. I don't think she was socialized well. Healthy girl per recent vet checkup.

Since day 1 she's cried while we nap or sleep. She'll literally wake up when she realizes we're sleeping so she can start howling and running at full speed over our bodies, over and over. The whole "exhaust her with play" thing doesn't work, at all. She is not bored. She is not hungry. She just LOATHES when we sleep. We can't shut the door because she will scream for hours. We haven't had a good night's sleep in 5 years.

She co-existed mostly with the older cat we have. We recently got a kitten and after over 8 weeks of slow introductions things were going fine. She was neutral to everyone as usual. No big deal. But now months in she's decided to start lunging and attacking the cats out of nowhere. Like she will seek out fights with them and chase them down.

She now snarls and freaks out when I pick her up so it's become hard to clean her teeth, clip her nails, or groom her in general.

We've been quarantining her when she does this behavior but everyday it's progressing in severity and someone is going to get hurt. Between never being able to sleep and now her seeking out fights, my tolerance level for her is at an all time low. I really don't have the energy to think about this anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking she might really benefit from anti anxiety meds.

Have you recently gotten her blood work done?

This can be a sign of hyperthyroidism. Its more rare than them becoming hyper affection but it does happen. My cat's mother began like this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many calming aides on Amazon and Pet Med Sites. You could try them, starting with a small amount like 1/4 of normal dose and go from there. It sure helped several of my cats with vet visits. the recent uptick is from the new kitten, I am sure. Cats hate change in their routine and you introduced a big one. That is why she is so upset when you grab her. I would keep my distance for a few weeks to months. Hold off on the grooming, etc. get some Oratene water additive to keep her teeth up, and a corrugated cardboard scratcher from Walmart to help with her claws. This will change when she gets used to the new arrival.
Is there any way to keep her isolated in a far room when you sleep? You may have to resort to this, after 5 years I don't think she is going to all of a sudden quit. Try to think of it as she loves you and wants to spend more time with you instead of purposely trying to wake you up because of some kind of evilness. I really think a calming aide may help. If the over the counter ones don't seem to work, a vet could help you with some stronger ones.
You have been a saint to put up with all this, bless you for what patience you have left!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten now? How does the kitten respond to the chasing? Hiding, cowering, fighting back? Are there clumps of hair or injuries? Is the kitten afraid of her? both when being chased and during rest times. Since the kitten has been in the house for months (and bigger now) is it possible that this is her attempt at play?

How does she act when you're home and awake? Is she the same to the whole family? Will she play with humans? Let you pet her if you don't try to pick her up? I'd also be curious as to how she acts when nobody is home to figure out if her behavior when you sleep is about separation anxiety.

Other than to sleep, do you spend time in the bedroom? Could you spend time sitting on the bed (reading, watching TV) during the day and invite her in. Get her to see the bedroom as a safe space.

Now a way out thought. Did somebody die in the house you got her from?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hellenww Hellenww I didn't think of that but as soon as you mentioned it, I realized how good a question it is for this situation. We have a dog in the family with high anxiety for this reason. She frequently 'checks' on you while sleeping.