Cat terrorising neighbours

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother rang me this morning with a problem he could not solve. His cat is being accused of raiding neighbours' houses, attacking their cats and in some cases, dogs, and defecating/peeing on their beds. He is having to replace a mattress and pay for a catdoor in the process. This started in May and has got progressively worse.

To start at the beginning - Mackenzie is a large, long-haired, polydactyl, neutered male. He lives with my brother, his partner, another cat and a small dog, in a North London suburb - the family have been there for 5 years. The house is in a quiet street that backs onto a forest. The cats have a catflap and go in and out at will, both into the garden and over the fence into the forest. They usually stay inside at night. Mackenzie has a habit of visiting some of the neighbours, who till recently have welcomed him, and he has been friendly with their pets. A recent change has been a couple who have into a house opposite, who have two dogs. However as the dogs are only in the back garden, contact with Mackenzie has been minimal.

In late May, a neighbour complained that MAckenzie kept coming into their house and eating their cat's food. This escalated to Mackenzie attacking another house's kitten and one of the cats (unspecified) defecating on a bed. Then other neighbours began to tell similar stories, so that now Mackenzie is dubbed the cat from hell. He is accused of raiding food cupboards, attacking a dog, peeoing and defecating in their houses (brazenly, according to one person) and generally being a bully. At home his behaviour has been normal.

My brother took him to the vet to be checked out and for advice. He is medically healthy, apart from being slightly overweight (6 kg). The vet suggested a Feliway plug-in, which has had no effect. A catflap is being installed, at my brother's expense, in the kitten's house. The kitten is male and as yet unneutered, though this behaviour started before its arrival. He is also buying a new mattress for another neighbour after a catfight resulted in cat poo and pee on the bed. Obviously, this cannot go on, but the causes remain mysterious.

Changes are being made. My brother is installing the latest microchip controlled cat door in his own house, to make it easier to keep the cats in at night. They have been trying to keep Mackenzie in, but he is now being released at 7am, whereupon he goes straight round to cause havoc elsewhere. I have suggested that for the moment both cats should be kept inside 24/7, if only to confirm that Mackenzie is responsible for all the incidents, and maybe to try to break the cycle of behaviour. Keeping them in permanently is not an option for them - it is not normal for cats in the UK and neither cat is used to having a litter box indoors.

Mackenzie is trying to establish his dominance over the neighbourhood. But why he should do this after 5 years is a puzzle. I thought it might be the kitten next door, but it started before that. The kitten will be neutered soon so that may help. Unfortunately no-one, except my brother, is seeing this from Mackenzie's point of view. He is obviously unhappy with the current environment, but we need to identify the trigger factor. He gets enough to eat at home, and still seems happy there; there have been no changes in his behaviour towards his home or family. Any ideas or questions?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh, I do not know to say... The easy answer would be to keep Mackenzie inside, 24/7 and teach him to use a litter box...sigh...

I know it is not custom in the UK for indoor only cats, but there are indoor only cats in the UK, and there are supplies for them. 

It is easier said than done. I know...

I am just thinking of something I saw on the news a while ago. 

A cat was dubbed the "underwear bandit' of the neighborhood. He would go around the neighborhood collecting clean underwear. The ones which were hung outside to dry. The owner kept finding strange underwear, yes bras and panties also..and men's britches. The owner finally put a "Go Pro" camera on his cat's collar to catch him at his antics. It was hysterical...

I wonder if something like this would help or hurt Mackenzie?? Then your brother can see what is effecting him. It could be the new neighbor. 

Is this new behavior from Mackenzie or has it been tolerated by the other neighbors for a long time, not saying anything until the new neighbor started complaining? 

Do all the neighbors have cat flap doors? or are they letting Mackenzie in the house, hence getting into trouble. 

Sounds like he is trying to exert his dominance over the kitten. His 'Alpha" nature is coming out. 

I am out of ideas.. anyone else...

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The two new dogs that have arrived with the new neighbors would be my guess. Mckenzie may be trying to show his dominance by visiting all around them and being territorial when before there was no need to. Eating the other cats food is an indication of him exerting his dominance .Now I don't think he intentionally **** an pee'd on the bed. Matter of fact I think the cat that lost the fight did,out of fear. A cat if very frightened will defecate and urinate when attacked. It's a survival reaction that evacuates his bowels to distract his opponent and lightens his own load for a swift get away. If the fight happened on the bed,I bet it was NOT in a neat pile. It more than likely was smeared during the application! So I would also suggest the controllable cat door,feliway diffuser is a good idea but he must stay within the vacinity for it to have a considerable effect. I would get the collar and buckle it then push it over his head so that if he gets hung up it will slip back over his head without hanging him and that's the best way to be sure .The chemical works better also if the collar can slide around to make contact with the entire neck.Ive used it on my panicky Persian and it calms him good.Never used the diffuser though. Unfortunately the dogs aren't going anywhere .Are the dogs visible through your fence? From your backyard? Is there anyway to enclose the yard with cat escape proof fence? Maybe possible to make a fence blind so the dogs aren't so visible? Is it feasible to construct high places on your deck or in your house( yard even) that he can perch in a feel dominant without having to continually keep reminding the neighborhood " he's top cat?"
See if a couple of perches made similar to those cat tree they sell can be used for a place up HIGH just for him,inside and out, rubbed gently with his favorite kitty nip, and a feliway collar.I just bet that'd do the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two new dogs that have arrived with the new neighbors would be my guess. Mckenzie may be trying to show his dominance by visiting all around them and being territorial when before there was no need to. Eating the other cats food is an indication of him exerting his dominance .Now I don't think he intentionally **** an pee'd on the bed. Matter of fact I think the cat that lost the fight did,out of fear. A cat if very frightened will defecate and urinate when attacked. It's a survival reaction that evacuates his bowels to distract his opponent and lightens his own load for a swift get away. If the fight happened on the bed,I bet it was NOT in a neat pile. It more than likely was smeared during the application! So I would also suggest the controllable cat door,feliway diffuser is a good idea but he must stay within the vacinity for it to have a considerable effect. I would get the collar and buckle it then push it over his head so that if he gets hung up it will slip back over his head without hanging him and that's the best way to be sure .The chemical works better also if the collar can slide around to make contact with the entire neck.Ive used it on my panicky Persian and it calms him good.Never used the diffuser though. Unfortunately the dogs aren't going anywhere .Are the dogs visible through your fence? From your backyard? Is there anyway to enclose the yard with cat escape proof fence? Maybe possible to make a fence blind so the dogs aren't so visible? Is it feasible to construct high places on your deck or in your house( yard even) that he can perch in a feel dominant without having to continually keep reminding the neighborhood " he's top cat?"
See if a couple of perches made similar to those cat tree they sell can be used for a place up HIGH just for him,inside and out, rubbed gently with his favorite kitty nip, and a feliway collar.I just bet that'd do the trick.
I agree entirely about the fear reflex and my brother (whose cat this is) understands that too, though the owner of the bed didn't! A camera is a good idea, if Mackenzie can keep it on - apparently he is not a cat that will wear a collar. My brother is a teckie so that might appeal to him. The dogs are apparently not visible to Mackenzie and are kept in their own back yard, but of course he is probably aware of them. I wondered if this could be the problem, but he is not normally afraid of dogs and lives with one in his own house quite happily.

As I said before, keeping him in permanently is not an option. My brother has a very small back yard that opens onto the forest and both cats go freely in and out, though for the moment at least they are confined at night.. I think what he hopes to do is find the cause and then see if it can be addressed - though if it is the dogs, then as you say, they are not going anywhere.

paul1010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mackenzie is a 8 year old neutered male and is generally very affectionate. This change in his behaviour is recent since May 2016.

The 2 changes of note to his 'outside' environment are new next door neighbours (neigbours #1) who have 2 dogs- they do not have a cat flap and Mackenzie has never been in this house... so aside from the dogs barking at him over the fence not sure this is the problem.

A neighbour (#2) 3 doors away has recently got a new male kitten, yet to be neutered. This house has 3 existing cats and 3 collie dogs - Mackenzie has been going in here of a night stealing food .... the first time this was brought to our attention was in May when Mackenzie went into the house at night and there was a commotion as the neighbours tried to get him out, eventually they cornered him in one of their bedrooms where unfortunately (due to being scared(i think)) he had an accident.. the neighbours caught him put in a cat box and left him in their shed overnight returning home to us the next day ... obviously they were upset at the events. ... we offered to buy a cat flap, this was declined and we said if required throw water on Mackenzie anyway following this incident we kept Mackenzie in of a night time for 2 weeks and it seemed to resolve or so we thought....

in June another neighbour (neighbour #3) who has a cat and cat flap went on holiday for 2 weeks and Mackenzie went in of a night stealing food - it was brought to our attention by the neighbour  (above) who was feeding their cat that she saw Mackenzie in the house and that he had messed on one of the beds ....when we asked how she knew it was Mackenzie she said because he had done it in her house!  We accept that Mackenzie was in the house and that he probably scared the other cat who in turn may have wet the bed .. regardless we have agreed to replace the mattress..

We have been keeping Mackenzie in of a night however Friday night (past midnight) we could not find him .... the next morning neighbour #2 (with the dogs,cat and kitten) said Mackenzie had been in her house, looking for food and attacked her kitten whom she had to take to the vet.... we discussed if perhaps they could lock down their cat flap for a few nights to stop Mackenzie getting in (they refused as their cats need to go out) again we offered to purchase a cat flap to keep him out and this time they were agreeable.... Cat flap has been purchased and is on its way...

We have changed Mackenzie's food to that of the neighbours and we have taken Mackenzie to the Vet who diagnosed arthritis  making him grumpy (we're skeptical); we started him on the prescribed pain killers (Metacam) but have now withdrawn it.   We also have feliway diffuser ...

So this recent change in his behaviour may be about being the Alpha cat in the avenue or? ....helpful suggestions appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Paul. To all who read this thread I suggested to my brother that he should come on and post the info himself, in case I got it wrong, as I did, though in minor details. Thanks to those who have posted so far, any more ideas or shared experiences would be welcome.

jennabengal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If l was him, ld keep my cat inside. Someone may get fed up with this and the animal could get hurt. An animal shouldn't be terrorizing people.
Sad to say but that cat wouldn't be tolerated by anyone where l live