cat teeth brushing training tips

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, my vet said my Rivel has plaque build up so i bought her CET virbac toothpaste poultry. I know suddenly brushing her teeth will end up badly for us both, so is there any guide for tooth brushing techniques?
I put a little on my finger and let her sniff but she's not interested licking. I just smeared it on the cat's inner lips. After that what? How long do i do this before i can use the brush? Thank you, any tip will help.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slow and easy wins the race for adult cats. As I recall the first step is to get your cat used to your fingers/hands around her face and in her mouth. The video below is really good.

I've been brushing my cats' teeth since they were kittens and, no, they don't especially love it but they do tolerate it. You may not win the battle overnight, but keep at it. Daily brushing is as effective as superior nutrition when it comes to the health and longevity of your cat, according to my vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cornell's vet school has a video:

You don't necessarily need to use the brush. Some people just use a cotton swab or a finger toothbrush. You're not really scrubbing the teeth, more like swabbing toothpaste on the teeth.
So you don't really need the "brushing" movement? Just apply it like balm and it will work?

Slow and easy wins the race for adult cats. As I recall the first step is to get your cat used to your fingers/hands around her face and in her mouth. The video below is really good.

I've been brushing my cats' teeth since they were kittens and, no, they don't especially love it but they do tolerate it. You may not win the battle overnight, but keep at it. Daily brushing is as effective as superior nutrition when it comes to the health and longevity of your cat, according to my vet.

Thank you. I don't want to immediately put my finger into her mouth tho, she never bites me, just warning nips, but i dont plan to find out her full jaw strength :D. i will experiment a bit and test my cat's tolerance. I saw other video of 4 weeks training, basically the first week is even slower, consist of the cat getting used to the look and smell of the brush and paste.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Swab on the toothpaste in a circular motion.

Most cats love the CET poultry flavored toothpaste but if yours doesn't, CET has a seafood flavored one that might be more appealing. Or try a different brand of toothpaste. There is a blogger (apparently quite wealthy) that swears by a $25 dollar cat toothpaste that was recommended by the vet, All Petsmile Products - Veterinarian Recommended & VOHC Accepted

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered that $25 toothpaste, LTS3. As my dad used to say, "You're on my list" for telling me about it. I have no impulse control when it comes to my cats, lol.

Different vets will tell you different things, but my vet was fairly adamant about brushing with a toothbrush. She said toothpaste wasn't entirely necessary but would make the experience more pleasant for the cat. As she put it, it the brush "mechanically debrides the teeth." Some cats, though, especially older ones, will probably never get used to brushing with an actual brush. I've brushed my cats teeth since they were kittens and they're so darn good about it I'm always threatening to film it for YouTube.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i got to apply the paste and she seems to start liking the taste as she licks a bit willingly from my finger. the front teeth and canines are easy to get to but the back part (where the plaque is the worst) is a bit of a challenge still.

but hey, the progress in 3 days is great. i give her treats every time we interact with the toothpaste and brush.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's definitely amazing progress for three days! If possible, you ought to get your vet to do a professional cleaning and then keep it up with the brushing. My cats are both five years old and although Atticus has some discoloration, neither have any plaque whatsoever. Every year I ask my vet if dentals are needed and every year she tells me no, that my cats have the best teeth in town. I always feel proud of myself when she says that, lol. It's a pain to brush them every day but I do it. Congrats and keep up the good work!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's definitely amazing progress for three days! If possible, you ought to get your vet to do a professional cleaning and then keep it up with the brushing. My cats are both five years old and although Atticus has some discoloration, neither have any plaque whatsoever. Every year I ask my vet if dentals are needed and every year she tells me no, that my cats have the best teeth in town. I always feel proud of myself when she says that, lol. It's a pain to brush them every day but I do it. Congrats and keep up the good work!
Thank you. I hope she has good results for her next visit. I will try to keep it up.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if I should try the toothpaste again. I gave up on it and my only means of brushing Rox' teeth has been to annoy her with a facial wash brush she stole from me that she gnaws on endlessly

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if I should try the toothpaste again. I gave up on it and my only means of brushing Rox' teeth has been to annoy her with a facial wash brush she stole from me that she gnaws on endlessly
I rub the toothpaste on olive oil chicken breast cut in long, thick strips to force her to chew it seems to work decently because last checkup shows Rivel's plaque is reduced from the previous visits.

Chicken breast is good because the meat is kinda tough compared to cuts like thighs. Lean beef works too but i heard cats aren't supposed to eat red meat too much plus chicken is much much cheaper.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rub the toothpaste on olive oil chicken breast cut in long, thick strips to force her to chew it seems to work decently because last checkup shows Rivel's plaque is reduced from the previous visits.

Chicken breast is good because the meat is kinda tough compared to cuts like thighs. Lean beef works too but i heard cats aren't supposed to eat red meat too much plus chicken is much much cheaper.
Thanks for the tip! Rox is my first cat that is really into chicken. The rest were all seafood snobs with the exception of my 22 year old, who loved spaghetti-os and turkey bone broth lol. I'll use chicken as a topper since she's still growing and needs kitten food. I did put her on dry food to get her last stubborn baby teeth to come out (the vet said that he would pull them at next booster if they didn't come out) but shes back on wet now so definitely needs the brushing.
It's too early to tell if the brushing without toothpaste would work out. Her adult teeth are brand new so there is no plaque yet. What toothpaste do you use?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip! Rox is my first cat that is really into chicken. The rest were all seafood snobs with the exception of my 22 year old, who loved spaghetti-os and turkey bone broth lol. I'll use chicken as a topper since she's still growing and needs kitten food. I did put her on dry food to get her last stubborn baby teeth to come out (the vet said that he would pull them at next booster if they didn't come out) but shes back on wet now so definitely needs the brushing.
It's too early to tell if the brushing without toothpaste would work out. Her adult teeth are brand new so there is no plaque yet. What toothpaste do you use?
Virbac CET toothpaste poultry flavor. She likes it so the taste is no problem when you rub it on food.

EmmaWilliam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

this is really helpful, thank you!