Cat Taking Metronidazole,still Having Soft/mushy Poop

Kxng7233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was vomiting and having diarrhea so I took him to the vet. We had blood test (came back negative) and has been taking metronidazole for 9 days. His stool improved on the first 2 days of metron, but became soft and now is mushy. I am wondering if it’s the metron causing the soft/mushy stool. Anyone experienced with metron? Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Basically I'm bumping this up for you. I've never had to put any of my cats on this medication.

Did you discuss this issue with your Vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kxng7233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I am adding some probiotics in his food. We will see what happens next. If this continues I will talk to the vet. Hopfully it will clear up soon.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole aka Flagyl, is a medication that is commonly given for diarrhea. It is prescribed to clear up the diarrhea. In the cats I have used it on, it has not caused, or worsened the diarrhea. It does however have a wicked taste. Cats hate it.

I like the probiotic "Proviable" which is a paste which comes in a tube. You give a small amount per day for a few days, then switch over to the pill form to continue. It works well.
My vet prescribed it.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the Flagyl has not helped, I would ask the vet about doing a fecal PCR test. A blood test will not diagnose certain things (like giardia, and Tritrichamonas feotus). Although, as far as I know, vomiting isn't really a symptom of those.