Cat symptom advice?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I took one of my 5 cats to the vet for allergies. He had some little bald spots on his ears and his lip was swollen. It was determined that he had allergies, he was given an allergy shot and sent home. His symptoms completely disappeared.
Now, all of my cats seem to be having slight respiratory symptoms. All are indoor only, none of them have been around any other cats. All of them are still eating and drinking, none are acting lethargic. I have noticed 3 of them sneezing and 2 of them have one eye watering.
Is it possible that this is just allergies? I’m totally willing to take them to the vet, the one with the allergies already has a follow up appointment. I’m just so confused about how they could have gotten sick if they are all indoor only. I’m really worried because 2 of them are seniors. I have also never had to take this many cats to the vet before.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
To me, it sounds as though something in their environment has changed. Do you have new plants? New furniture or carpet, fresh paint? Depending on where you live, has someone sprayed weed killer outside and the fumes migrated inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
To me, it sounds as though something in their environment has changed. Do you have new plants? New furniture or carpet, fresh paint? Depending on where you live, has someone sprayed weed killer outside and the fumes migrated inside?
No, that’s what’s so strange. We haven’t done anything like that. We do open the door so they could stand by the screen door and look outside but we haven’t even been doing that because the door is ripped.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple other thoughts, no air fresheners, scented candles or spray cleaners?

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
What about the cat litter?
Has the product changed? What about dust arising when they use the litter trays? If they trays are covered and something has changed with the product could this maybe be the issue?
Good luck !! :))
Allergies can be really difficult to pinpoint. :((

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been buying the same brands for everything, maybe one of the brands changed an ingredient though. It’s so weird because I’ve been trying so hard to think of what could have caused it. I have a vet appointment for this evening though so hopefully I’ll find out :)

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let us know what they say - hang in there!
I think everything is figured out and you were right! I had this little room that I was using for foster kittens and I recently decided to start using it for storage. I wanted to deep clean it one more time before using it and totally forgot I used a powder carpet cleaner and let it sit for a while before vacuuming. I normally keep that door shut but one of my cats got locked in there the other day so it’s been open. The vet thinks that’s what caused it. I’m guessing there was some still left in the carpet in there or maybe some residue that tracked through the house when I vacuumed after that. Thank you for your help! They’re all okay and the vet isn’t worried :)