Cat Swallowed Thread

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad they could see the thread on X-ray and it looks like it’s passing. My cat once ate a string that the roast had been tied with. I took her to the vet right away. She didn’t want to do anything, just watch her. Kitty threw it up two days later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad! Keep us updated. Let us know when everything is over and out...:clap2:
Hopefully this will be over soon!
Me too! If anything had happened to my mom’s beloved cat, I would have never forgiven myself. Hopefully the injection doesn’t have an explosive effect, but we’ll see. The vet said that the fact she had had diarrhea for the last couple of days helped.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad they could see the thread on X-ray and it looks like it’s passing. My cat once ate a string that the roast had been tied with. I took her to the vet right away. She didn’t want to do anything, just watch her. Kitty threw it up two days later.
It was kind of all bunched up and at the largest part of the colon so it was easy to see. The only thing he doesn’t know is if all of it is there, or if some is still left in the intestin. So I have to give her that stuff to help her along for a few days just in case, but he seemed real confident that she was going to be just fine.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He also said that if there is a next time, to bring her in as early as possible so that they can have her vomit it while it’s still before or in her stomach. Apparently it’s much safer that way up as there are less places for it to get stuck and if it does get stuck, you can get it out by endoscopy, which is a lot safer than bowel surgery. You live and you learn!
The vet was great! Since Neige is deaf, he asked me to go in theX-ray room with him and help hold her down gently (says it helps deaf animals to have their human with them since they can’t hear a soothing voice). She was a good girl. Though at some point in the second X-ray, she hissed a lot! My hand was right next to her mouth, but she didn’t bite me! Phew!! He showed me the X-rays and helped me understand them. Showed me how close it was to the exit and that since it’s pretty Much a straight line from there, she’ll be fine. He also said that in case of occlusion,the kind of vomiting you are watching out for is very violent, and usually the vomit will be black, and very smelly, almost like poo as it would all be coming back up. Since Neige just regurgitated non- digested dry food, that was not a symptom. I’m glad I took her in for peace of mind anyway but I want to take this vet back to the States with me! He was awesome!

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also ask the vet about them giving fluids, which will have the effect of helping with any dehydration from the recent diarrhea but also help with quicker bowel movements this week.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also ask the vet about them giving fluids, which will have the effect of helping with any dehydration from the recent diarrhea but also help with quicker bowel movements this week.
If she’d been several times a day, I would have asked but she’s not dehydrated. She only goes once a day, it’s just not very solid.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it is all working out well! And i agree, anytime something like this happens i think it warrants an immediate vet visit. Glad he explained that, and you let everyone else know. That may help someone else in the future! :rock:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Needless to say that all sting and feather toys are now safely put away and will only be used when supervised. A lesson learned the hard way. It could have been much worse though.
Thanks for your support through this scare! I hope this thread helps anyone who’s finding themselves in that situation: if you see your pet swallowing something or you know it happened recently and it has not been “digested yet” go to the vet for them to make your cat vomit it. It’s less dangerous.

Last edited:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay, so glad kitty pooped out the thread! And glad you found a good vet for future problems with your mom’s cat! And thank you for letting us know!

Oh, and is Neige white?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay, so glad kitty pooped out the thread! And glad you found a good vet for future problems with your mom’s cat! And thank you for letting us know!

Oh, and is Neige white?
Yes ;)
She is pure white and has the softest, silkiest fur I have ever touched.
This is her “Can you touch my belly? Sure.... if you want to lose a digit” pose.:flail:

Attachments

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty little white girl! I have a solid white girl too :)