Cat swallowed a stiff piece of plastic, help

Famkesita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I really have some weird problem here and would appreciate any suggestion and opinion.
On Saturday morning, my cat SOMEHOW swallowed 10 cm long plastic bag triangle shaped corner, very stiff plastic bag. It happenned in front of my eyes. I cut that piece of plastic with scissors and she got to it very fast and swallowed it.
I took her to the vet Tuesday morning to do x-ray, and they haven't found any obstructions. She didn't poop it either because she stopped pooping from Sunday morning. It's Tuesday now and she didn't poop yet. She doesn't vomit and eats normally. I checked the poo on Sunday and there was no plastic inside.

So, why would she stop pooping all of the sudden? The vet says there's no obstructions visible, but I afraid they're missing something.

Any advice? I'd pay hundreds of dollars if I just could get some proper help from the vet. But they seem not to care so much.

Sending you the pic of the eaten part of the bag.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an older post but one poster did have suggestions for the vet.
My cat ate little piece of plastic bag.
Not sure if it will help or not or even fits your situation. If the plastic is in your cat, I wonder if it could be turned in a direction that the xray did not pick up. I don't even know if that is a possibility or not, just thinking outside the box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you have any family/friends/neighbors/co-workers that could give you a recommendation for another vet - for a second opinion? I realize the first vet didn't find anything, but they also didn't give you any advice about what to do next - or, even some sort of follow up if she didn't poop.

So, rather than wait for her to stop eating, or to start vomiting, I would seek out a second opinion. Perhaps, another vet would at least give you some better support - or suggest an ultrasound as opposed to another x-ray - plastic might show up on an ultrasound when it might not on an x-ray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Famkesita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Just went to the vet and they'll do the liquid examination to check if there are obstacles. Today morning she wouldn't eat. But finally drinks water. However, not pissing.

Famkesita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: nothing found on contrast xray.
She currently has 4 cm wide urinary bladder. A whole night is in front of us. She won't pee. I don't know what to do. Vet said 4 cm shouldn't be a problem. She drinks water only, won't eat. I'm completely torn.
She's resting now, twitches a bit with her head and makes small sounds. I don't know what to do and I' starting to think she's only getting worse by visiting so many veterinarians. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what a 4 cm wide urinary bladder means, but I am guessing the vet didn't think it was large enough to manually express?
Were you able to actually have a dialog with this vet? Was she sedated for the procedure? If so, the vet should have explained what to expect as she gets over the sedation. It is likely that she is experiencing some behaviors related to the procedure. And, the vet should have advised you on what to look for and expect, and how you are to help her or if you should contact them after so long of a period of time if things don't change.

Was this a different vet? Either way, they don't sound very helpful if you ask me. Give her a chance to rest a bit, and then try some of the 'tricks' to trying to get her to eat, as discussed in the article link below.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

Famkesita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She suddey died. Plastic wasn't found. She had water in the lungs after the treatment. Couldn't breathe. I am devastated.