Cat supplies checklist

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelters here all require written permission from landlord prior to adoption, and after months of foot-dragging, I finally got it. I did use their delays to acquire some supplies I figured would be needed:

Bed #1
Bed #2 (cave-style for hiding)
Tidy Cats litter, 35Lb box
Dr. Elsey Cat Attract Litter, 20Lb box
Litter box /with scooper
Food Bowl
Soft Carrier
Eufy Lumi Stick-On Night Light, Warm White LED, Motion Sensor, 3 pack
PetSafe Seaside Stainless Steel Pet Fountain
Laser Pointer
Hills Science Diet Urinary Hairball Control Savory Chicken, 24 cans
Iams ProActive Health Healthy Senior Dry Cat Food, 7 lb.
Casfuy 5-meals Automatic Cat Feeder

Next month I've budgeted for a cat stroller. Hopefully:

...if not, then HPZ™ PET ROVER Premium Stroller, Gen7Pets G7 Jogger Dog & Cat Stroller, or VIAGDO Premium Heavy Duty Pet Stroller. How much food should I have set aside? How much litter? Is there anything else essential I have missed? I expect to be doing the adoption center circuit by mid November, as soon as I have the stroller.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kind of scratching post and/or cat tree. You want a nice tall sturdy tree, and maybe some cardboard scratchers too. Amazon and Chewy both have good inexpensive selections, and if you want to get fancier there are companies that sell nicer ones.

Some toys. The cat may have individual preferences, but if you get a variety pack that should cover most. Also a Da Bird. I've never met a cat who didn't like that :D.

I don't know if you want to collect too much food before you get the kitty. At first you want to feed them whatever they were eating at the shelter/previous home. Then you can gradually switch to the food you prefer. Same with litter too, although most cats are less picky about that.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some toys. The cat may have individual preferences, but if you get a variety pack that should cover most. Also a Da Bird. I've never met a cat who didn't like that.
I had a cat who loved Da Bird after I pulled it on my bed. When I showed Da Bird to her the first time standing up, it scared her. After that, she broke it within a week. So my next cat will have a wood stick with cloth instead of a flexible fishing pole with the hope it will not break after less than a week of use. I was very disappointed because lack of durability was the only problem with it.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Novus: Forget about laser pointers. They are bad for the eyes and cats want to catch objects anyway.

If you have room for a vat tree, by all means buy one! Cats love to be up high (the term "top cat" originated from its literal meaning) and it will satisfy your cat's scratching needs, whether horizontal or vertical surfaces are preferred. How much space you have for it and the amount of money you can spend determine its size, features, and style.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A wand toy with various attachments. I got the pet fit for life one from chewy. Neko-chan doesn't like feathers, so the additional attachments let me know which ones she liked. Also, a cat nip toy. Neko-chan goes crazy for the yeoww! Ones, especially the banana and rainbow.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat tree and wand toys for sure. I don't see the utility of two different brands of cat litter - it isn't particularly expensive and lasts longer than you would think. I go through a big bag of Dr. Elsey's every month, but that big bag is like $17. Get a litter-catching mat to put in front of the litter box unless you like the feel of sand between your toes wherever you go. Stroller is very optional - also something you should try before you buy as your cat may not like to stay put in a stroller!

Unless your vet has specifically recommended those brands of food to deal with a health issue, I would spring for a higher quality brand of food - for dry food, folks here like Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein, Sassy (also a senior rescue) also really likes Wysong Epigen 90, and for wet food, good quality brands available at most pet stores are Tiki Cat After Dark, Feline Natural, and Ziwi Peak.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different styles of beds, either. You can buy inexpensive beds of different types until you get a sense of what your little buddy likes. Or maybe they just won't like beds at all and prefer to sleep on you, or on their cat tree, or on the floor, like some cats I know.

Be prepared to have to do a lot of trial and error with beds, toys, etc - they have big personalities for such small creatures, and they're quite particular about a great many things.

Congratulations, by the way!

EDIT: oh! OH! Brushes! You need brushes! I have a few - I know many long-haired cats who love the little silicone grooming gloves. If your incoming friend has long hair, you should also get a de-matting rake and a slicker brush. Good quality ones are inexpensive.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kind of scratching post and/or cat tree. You want a nice tall sturdy tree, and maybe some cardboard scratchers too. Amazon and Chewy both have good inexpensive selections, and if you want to get fancier there are companies that sell nicer ones.

Some toys. The cat may have individual preferences, but if you get a variety pack that should cover most. Also a Da Bird. I've never met a cat who didn't like that :D.

I don't know if you want to collect too much food before you get the kitty. At first you want to feed them whatever they were eating at the shelter/previous home. Then you can gradually switch to the food you prefer. Same with litter too, although most cats are less picky about that.
This scratching post will be on next months to-do list (FRISCO Wall Sisal Cat Scratcher, Large, Gray - Chewy.com). I need to wait til then to make the minimum order for free shipping. I expect to have a cat tree eventually, but it is low priority. My thinking is that the cat is unlikely to have had access to a cat tree in the pound, a senior cat is probably not that inclined to climb, and since I have no window access the incentive to use one is likely lacking. Toys are something I need to focus on. I already have some tennis balls, and in a pinch I could string one to the ceiling on an elastic cord, like a tether ball....maybe stick a jinglebell in it. I'll look into Da Bird.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A wand toy with various attachments. I got the pet fit for life one from chewy. Neko-chan doesn't like feathers, so the additional attachments let me know which ones she liked. Also, a cat nip toy. Neko-chan goes crazy for the yeoww! Ones, especially the banana and rainbow.
I like the lures (PET FIT FOR LIFE 7 Piece Replacement Feather Pack for Wand Cat Toy - Chewy.com). The rods look dinky. I think my old telescopic fishing rod would outlast any of those, and since I don't use it anymore, it should be re-purposed.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the lures (PET FIT FOR LIFE 7 Piece Replacement Feather Pack for Wand Cat Toy - Chewy.com). The rods look dinky. I think my old telescopic fishing rod would outlast any of those, and since I don't use it anymore, it should be re-purposed.
Neko-chan plays hard with it, and the rod itself has lasted 2.5 years. It's flexible so it bends without breaking. I also like how long the rod and string are, so I can really make the lure run around the edges of the room and around corners like a real mouse.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat will eventually tell you what it wants so don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff beforehand. Like others have said, some cats like some things and others don't. Buy the basics first and then worry about extras later. As long as they have food/water bowls, wet/dry food, litter box/litter, a couple of toys, and something to scratch on, they will be fine.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For your own sanity/convenience, I recommend buying multiple food bowls -- I only had 1 for a few months and washing it before each of her 4 meals was tiresome. I have 5 bowls now and am living life. 😎

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For your own sanity/convenience, I recommend buying multiple food bowls -- I only had 1 for a few months and washing it before each of her 4 meals was tiresome. I have 5 bowls now and am living life. 😎
I agree with this. I have two sets of bowls for the rare occasion that they don't eat everything right away and food gets dried to the bowls. But a quick scrub with Dawn and hot water usually fixes it with little to no effort.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting a senior cat! You're awesome!
I'm over sixty. I reasoned if I get a young cat, die on it in ten years, it goes back to the pound as a senior (and return), so probably gonna get killed. I'm looking to save a life, not issue a temporary stay of execution, so there is that. Given my age, I'm not keen to try to keep up with a young cat. Since I live in a tiny studio, there is little room for zoomies. Even though there is more space here than in a cage at a pound, I suspect a young cat would be bouncing off the walls, and going stir crazy. I thought about it a lot, and everything came down to either a senior cat or a rabbit. Since even after litter box training rabbits love to mark territory everywhere, and vacuuming every nook and cranny every day does not sound like fun to me, a senior cat quickly won out. The choice was based on practicality mostly, way more than anything heroic. It just turns out to be of mutual benefit. I get someone to talk to (other than myself and the computer screen), while the cat gets to escape a fairly certain death sentence, and a decent upgrade in living standards.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Novus: Forget about laser pointers. They are bad for the eyes and cats want to catch objects anyway.

If you have room for a vat tree, by all means buy one! Cats love to be up high (the term "top cat" originated from its literal meaning) and it will satisfy your cat's scratching needs, whether horizontal or vertical surfaces are preferred. How much space you have for it and the amount of money you can spend determine its size, features, and style.
I have yet to see a cat did not go crazy for a laser pointer. Not sure where the bad press came from. Who points a laser at their eyes or a cats eyes? Maybe the same sort of genius that sets a hot cup of McDonalds coffee between their legs while driving? As for cats wanting to catch stuff, how many times have you seen a cat actually catch a fly? Doesn't stop them from trying, does it? Plus that is easy to solve. Before a laser game, you just wait til the cat is distracted, then hide a few treats around. You then let the cat chase the dot around til it starts to get winded, then lead it to the treat....when it pounces on the treat, turn off the laser, and the cat will think the treat was the dot. Rinse and repeat.

I can make space for a cat tree, can budget for one, but I just don't see it as a high priority item...given it is a senior cat, and there is no window access. I view it more as a luxury item. Maybe in six months I'll get around to it. Til then I'll watch to see if the cat shows any interest in climbing. If it can't make it up onto the kitchen counter, the shelving, or needs pet stairs to get to one of its beds on the endtable, I'm gonna assume a cat tree is a waste of money.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A note about beds: I've bought 3 for Neko-chan, a cave one, a donut one, and a self heating one. She doesn't use any of them, not even the self heating one in our brutal new England winters. Her beds are the couch, office chair, and our bed. They we're a complete waste of money and space.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A note about beds: I've bought 3 for Neko-chan, a cave one, a donut one, and a self heating one. She doesn't use any of them, not even the self heating one in our brutal new England winters. Her beds are the couch, office chair, and our bed. They we're a complete waste of money and space.
Well, what's on the list has already been gotten, so what has been done is too late to undo. If the cat don't like the two choices for beds he/she is welcome to take potluck. There is no couch. There is a hard chair, my DIY computer desk, zafu floor cushion, Japanese folding table, endtable, and three shelving units similar to this:

That's it for anything resembling furniture. I toss and turn all night, so my bed is a warzone...safe only when I'm not in it. Limited choices for potluck.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat tree and wand toys for sure. I don't see the utility of two different brands of cat litter - it isn't particularly expensive and lasts longer than you would think. I go through a big bag of Dr. Elsey's every month, but that big bag is like $17. Get a litter-catching mat to put in front of the litter box unless you like the feel of sand between your toes wherever you go. Stroller is very optional - also something you should try before you buy as your cat may not like to stay put in a stroller!

Unless your vet has specifically recommended those brands of food to deal with a health issue, I would spring for a higher quality brand of food - for dry food, folks here like Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein, Sassy (also a senior rescue) also really likes Wysong Epigen 90, and for wet food, good quality brands available at most pet stores are Tiki Cat After Dark, Feline Natural, and Ziwi Peak.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different styles of beds, either. You can buy inexpensive beds of different types until you get a sense of what your little buddy likes. Or maybe they just won't like beds at all and prefer to sleep on you, or on their cat tree, or on the floor, like some cats I know.

Be prepared to have to do a lot of trial and error with beds, toys, etc - they have big personalities for such small creatures, and they're quite particular about a great many things.

Congratulations, by the way!

EDIT: oh! OH! Brushes! You need brushes! I have a few - I know many long-haired cats who love the little silicone grooming gloves. If your incoming friend has long hair, you should also get a de-matting rake and a slicker brush. Good quality ones are inexpensive.
Tried answering this before, but something went aground. I'm using cut'n'paste from WordPad this time, in case of a 'time clock' issue. I'll budget the toys, brush, toothbrush, and toothpaste for November...need stuff to make the $49 minimum of Chewy. At $15.99 for 20lb, Dr Elsey Cat Attract Litter is significantly more pricey than the Tidy Cats at $$16.46 for 35lb. The utility is simple. Use 50% Tidy Cats, and 50% Dr Elsey topper to attract the cat to the target, which should be attractive enough. Gradually I'll see how far I can cut back on the Dr Elsey. Maybe eliminate it entirely.

I need a soft carrier. The hard carrier is too much for my back, knees, and ankles to handle even without a cat in it. Given the fact a soft carrier is supposedly easy for cats to escape, and the public transit buses here give it a thumbs down, a stroller is not optional. Even if the cat does not like walkies, I still need a way to get the cat home from the pound, and to the vet.

Some of the food you mentioned is for cats with caviar tastes...unfortunately, I'm on a hamburger budget. While I will not be going the Friskies junkfood route, neither will I be springing for $14lb cat food, as with Ziwi Peak. Feline Natural looks within reach, and is apparently available as single can from Healthy Spot, which eliminates the risk factor of a whole case from Chewy. Same for Tiki Cat After Dark, available locally from PetSmart and Petco, at decent price. I'll look into collecting single cans of these to test out for possible later purchase by the case.

Any thoughts on vet insurance? I'm looking at Figo: Premium health insurance plans for cats and dogs..

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tried answering this before, but something went aground. I'm using cut'n'paste from WordPad this time, in case of a 'time clock' issue. I'll budget the toys, brush, toothbrush, and toothpaste for November...need stuff to make the $49 minimum of Chewy. At $15.99 for 20lb, Dr Elsey Cat Attract Litter is significantly more pricey than the Tidy Cats at $$16.46 for 35lb. The utility is simple. Use 50% Tidy Cats, and 50% Dr Elsey topper to attract the cat to the target, which should be attractive enough. Gradually I'll see how far I can cut back on the Dr Elsey. Maybe eliminate it entirely.

I need a soft carrier. The hard carrier is too much for my back, knees, and ankles to handle even without a cat in it. Given the fact a soft carrier is supposedly easy for cats to escape, and the public transit buses here give it a thumbs down, a stroller is not optional. Even if the cat does not like walkies, I still need a way to get the cat home from the pound, and to the vet.

Some of the food you mentioned is for cats with caviar tastes...unfortunately, I'm on a hamburger budget. While I will not be going the Friskies junkfood route, neither will I be springing for $14lb cat food, as with Ziwi Peak. Feline Natural looks within reach, and is apparently available as single can from Healthy Spot, which eliminates the risk factor of a whole case from Chewy. Same for Tiki Cat After Dark, available locally from PetSmart and Petco, at decent price. I'll look into collecting single cans of these to test out for possible later purchase by the case.

Any thoughts on vet insurance? I'm looking at Figo: Premium health insurance plans for cats and dogs..
I recommend waiting until you have know the age/gender of the cat you're going to adopt, then request quotes from all of the pet insurance companies you're interested in.