Cat super aggressive at Vet’s

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Jeter is 12, weighs about 14 lbs., and from age 1 started being very aggressive when brought to the vet or even to the pet store from which we adopted him just to get nails clipped. I managed to train him to let me clip nails but it’s still difficult mostly because I stopped doing it frequently enough - my bad. We had vets come to the house - still horrible - took two people to restrain him, using big leather gloves, for shots and clipping and exam and he hissed and growled and howled throughout. He attacks his carrier if he’s brought to the vet. He’s on record as aggressively attacking staff - one cat urgent care couldn’t even handle him long enough to sedate him to do an exam. New vet gave me gabapentin - two tabs at night before a visit and then again two next day before the appointment. Haven’t tried that yet. Have you had success with the med?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Gabapentin is commonly used to calm cats who are hard to handle. My two boy cats have prescriptions for it to be used before scheduled medical appointments. The vet always describes them as "fractious" in his medical notes, which is the nice word for it.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last vet I used had me administer the gabapentin. They just use it as standard for cats. Her dosage was one 100mg capsule the night before, and one two hours before. It just made her slightly sleepy.

Did he have a bad vet experience before, or has he always been this way? How is he with other people who come to your house?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Belle went into “fight or fight” the first time we took her to the vet. When the vet’s assistant tried to scruff her, Belle only got worse. I took over from the assistant and while Belle still fought, I was able to handle her- no scruffing and get her settled enough to get through the exam without bloodshed. Squishing her as needed did the trick.

Since then, we started feeding Belle breakfast in her carrier while wearing her harness. Sometimes, we’d zip up the carrier and take her outside to eat. During vet visits, I handle Belle for the vet. I take time to relax my mind and body before hand and strive to remain relaxed even when Belle struggles. Cats do take cues from their guardians. If you’re tense, the cat will take that as a sign of danger. If you’re calm, your cat will pick up on that and think maybe things aren’t so bad and relax a little.

Every cat is a law unto itself, but I think if you learn to handle your cat for the vet, it will go better for you and your cat.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep i we use 2 mils of the chicken flavored liquid gabbapentin. for graycie a shot fasting the night beforethen mix it with a quater portion of what i normally feed her in the mornings and feed the rest of her canned after she finishes the dosed portion before her vet visits it makes her sleepy enough that gf can do her nail trims as needed.also on our last visit i was able to be in the exam room with her. things were much easier and calmer with me doing the holding and getting her out of the carrier.but i went in with the assumption of ok i might get a good bite from her and thats ok with me and i will just keep talking to her telling her its ok and she is a good girl in a calm voice graycie also has a very bad rep at the vets and its on her file that she bites,claws etc. made me sad my sweet heart of a cat had the vet people so scared of her

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I took over handling Belle from the assistant, I was fully prepared to get clawed and bitten. Fortunately, I was able to hold her so she couldn’t claw or bite me or the vet.

I’ve noticed that even when agitated, she’ll avoid biting or clawing me. I still get teeth but she stops before breaking the skin.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been this way since around age 1. No idea why since there was never a huge issue at the vet before that. He is fine with other people coming to the house UNLESS he gets a whiff on them of something he doesn’t like - usually of a cat the person owns. If I’ve fed other cats he will hiss at me if I brush by him. I’m sure he gets a nose full of scents at the vets which is why he starts screaming as soon as we enter the waiting room. He sounds like a wild animal. I cannot effectively grapple with him without getting bitten and I admit I’m afraid of getting hurt. He will definitely nip at me for even minor things - over-petting, moving him from one place to another, etc. He was fostered from birth and I got him at 12 weeks so he wasn’t abused or neglected.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand being afraid of getting hurt. Keep working not letting him bully you and things will get better. (We do know he isn’t a complete tyrant and is a good cat.)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've found these sleeves similar to these helpful, they leave your fingers free for details. (see below for finger protection)

1667250440646.png

MIG4U Cut Resistant Sleeves Arm Guards Safety Protection with Thumb Holes for Men and Women Yard Work, Construction, Farm, Gardening ,Adjustable fit 1pair 18" grey - - Amazon.com

You might find these gloves more helpful, but your fingers will be a little stiff and you'll need to flex the glove fingers to soften them. Yes, we've used these.

1667250529031.png

Amazon.com : Legacy Gardens Leather Gardening Gloves for Women and Men | Thorn and Cut Proof Garden Work Gloves with Long Heavy Duty Gauntlet | Suitable For Thorny Bushes Cacti Rose Pruning- Medium Brown : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Attachments