Cat Suddenly Timid

rxysrfgrrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I just joined these forums because my cat is acting completely unlike herself.

I'm not really a cat person, I've always grown up around dogs, but I decided to get a kitten last November and I went to the animal shelter and adopted the sweetest little orange cat (Sookie).

She honestly acts much more like a dog. She's very loud and curious, nothing scares her, she runs to the door whenever anyone comes home and rolls over on her back for them (ANYONE! even strangers!). She does what she wants and usually isn't afraid of anything. The one time she met a dog she actually followed him around and swatted at his tail. She's also very attached to people and loves cuddling and follows me around constantly. So basically she is not ever timid or easily spooked.

But for some reason, within the past few hours, she's been acting really strange. She was fine when I got home, she ran up to see me, and then when I watched tv she hopped onto my lap and laid there for awhile. But I went back to my room (I live in a small apartment) and she was near the windowsill by the bed, where she normally sits. I walked up to her and I saw a bee on the windowsill and didn't feel like killing it so I covered it with an opaque lid so it couldn't get out. I left, and when I came back about 20 minutes later, she was acting completely different! Her body was rigid, her tail was tucked between her legs and she was just staring at the lid! I thought maybe she heard buzzing or something so I killed the bee and figured she'd be fine, but she's STILL acting strange.

She actually RAN AWAY from me and hid under a table, and she's shaking all over. When I pick her up she struggles (she's normally EXTREMELY patient, you can't get her angry. Even when you cradle her she just kinda harumphs after awhile in annoyance and doesn't struggle) and pushes away from me. I decided to give her some space and she fell asleep on a chair in the living room, but when I came over she started acting weird again.

It's not me specifically because I sat down on the floor next to her and put my hand up slowly and she nuzzled it, but she's just extremely jumpy. If I make a sudden movement, she jolts away and she's walking around very very slowly, practically cowering against the ground.

WHAT HAPPENED? I am so confused! My cat is normally so sweet and stable. Even when I first brought her home she was comfortable within 10 minutes, and she travels very well. I don't understand what's going on. I'll definitely go to the vet if it persists, but I'm a broke college student and I don't want to go prematurely.

any advice on how to calm her down or what it could be?

Thanks.

ally

cat_lover_330

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Although I am not positively sure, it sounds like it's the bee that REALLY must've scared her...maybe if you gave her some space for a couple days she won't be so creeped out? Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help!

roofrabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with cat lover about something scaring her badly enough to alter her normal behavior.
Have you ever let her outside alone?
You said she followed a dog around, maybe one snapped at her or a fellow student did something without you knowing? Maybe another bee stung her?
...grasping at straws.
Massage her little body gently to see if there are any tender spots that may be bothering her.
Taking her to a vet is a better idea but try to narrow down the symptoms first. You'll be better informed and your vet will know where to start in order to be more helpful to her.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rxysrfgrrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
nah, Sookie is strictly an indoor cat and I was the only one around her. My two other roommates weren't home, but they love her anyways.

The only thing I can think is the bee. She's acting a little more normal now, she went into the living room and jumped up on the counter and when I fed her she ate half her food. She still seems skittish though.

I'll keep you guys posted.